Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

I agree 100% with everything saltandpepper said.  If the chicks are not sick, don't put them down.  Depopulating isn't going to work for you.  The virus can live for years in the environment.  You could completely clean your coop and wait for two years, get new chicks and they could still become sick.

Not to dash your hopes, but often times my "strongest and biggest chicks" are the first ones to die from Mareks.  I had a huge, dominant cockerel that was my first cockerel to die.  The smaller, timid one lived the longest.  He actually got to breed with the hens and died at 6 months old.  I had 2 pullets that were raised over the winter by a broody.  One pullet was small and sickly (coughing all the time).  Her sister was twice as big as she was.  One day she got sick and died two days later.  Little sister recovered and is now laying eggs.  

If you have chicks that get sick, cull them before they are suffering.  I'm not sure why your state vet is trying to convince you to cull everyone now.  

I buy my own vaccine and vaccinate my chicks.  You can buy vaccinated chicks from a hatchery.  That might be the best option in your case if you don't mind getting hatchery birds.  It sounds liken maybe one of the limited breeders in your area is selling birds from a Marek's infected flock.  

What I do with my chicks is vaccinate at 1 day old.  They spend the next 3 weeks in the back bathroom where they are not exposed to any other birds or shared equipment.  They have their own feeders, bedding, etc.  I feed them first in the morning after I shower and change my clothes. Then I go out and take care of the other birds in order of age.  One month old pullets get fed next, followed by the adults in the coop.  I know my house is infected with Marek's since I had 2 sick birds living inside for a month before sending them in for necropsy.  I realize my situation isn't ideal for the birds, but I'm doing the best I can.

When the chicks are 4 weeks old, they are vaccinated a second time (it is part of my vaccine experiment).  They are moved into the living room where they are handled more and the "biosecurity" is reduced quite a bit.  They still have their own brooder, feeder, bedding and food.  My objective is to slowly introduce them to small amounts of the virus so their immune systems can become stronger before they go into the flock.

At 6 weeks they start going into an outdoor chicken tractor during the day.  It is in a part of the yard where the other birds don't normally go, so I'm pretty confident they are not getting huge doses of the virus.  Over the next two weeks the tractor is moved so that it is closer to the main coop and all the other birds.  At 8 weeks they are allowed to free range for a small period of time with the flock.  By 10 weeks they are (hopefully) fully integrated with the flock and have had 10 weeks to build immunity to Marek's.  

Currently I am hatching every 4 weeks.  It is very labor intensive to have all these chicks in the house plus two tractors outside.  I'm doing one more hatch and then I'll take a break until fall.  I will have five batches of chicks that have been vaccinated, and, and two batches that were not vaccinated (only 3 pullets left total since all the others have died).  

The other thing you can do is get older birds.  Last year I got more than a dozen adults and none of them died.  By the time they are a year old they should already have natural immunity to the virus.  Don't cull your babies though...give them a chance!  :)
I have a slightly less intensive program for my chicks, and at 7 weeks old, I haven't lost any! Also, it seems ( I have no idea if it's actually true) chicks hatched by my broody seem to have a more natural resistance to mareks then brooder raised chicks, so, yes, definitely give the chicks a chance!

I agree, don't cull unless they are ill. Some say cull as soon as they show symptoms, some have had some successes with recovery after some hard nursing. Everyone has to do what they feel is right - but I would say give them a chance!

I added 5 pullets that were about 6 months old in the fall, they had been vacinated as chicks. All of them are fine and healthy . They were exposed immediately to mareks which was just diagnosed in my flock in October.

I am going to see how things look, but hope to allow broodies to hatch next spring. I sure have some relentless broodies and it seems like I always have one or two in the broody breaking cages. I'm not home during the day so those eggs in the nests are too tempting for those girls.

Hang in there!

I agree, don't cull unless they are ill.  Some say cull as soon as they show symptoms, some have had some successes with recovery after some hard nursing.  Everyone has to do what they feel is right - but I would say give them a chance!

I added 5 pullets that were about 6 months old in the fall, they had been vacinated as chicks.  All of them are fine and healthy .  They were exposed immediately to mareks which was just diagnosed in my flock in October.  

I am going to see how things look, but hope to allow broodies to hatch next spring.  I sure have some relentless broodies and it seems like I always have one or two in the broody breaking cages.  I'm not home during the day so those eggs in the nests are too tempting for those girls.

Hang in there! 
I need a broody breaking cage
1f615.png

I appreciate all the feed back I have some thinking to do. The reason why the State Poultry lab is telling me to cull is that I have a small flock (only 6) and since I had three of my four chickens die my chances with unvaccinated chicks getting Marek's is high. Seems like all the stories I am reading is that your chicks are vaccinated. I have been told to only bring in vaccinated chicks in (after quarantine time is up).

I appreciate all the feed back I have some thinking to do. The reason why the State Poultry lab is telling me to cull is that I have a small flock (only 6) and since I had three of my four chickens die my chances with unvaccinated chicks getting Marek's is high. Seems like all the stories I am reading is that your chicks are vaccinated. I have been told to only bring in vaccinated chicks in (after quarantine time is up). 
None of my birds are vaccinated. An honestly, vaccinated birds can still die from mareks, it's just less likely. And yes, your mortality rate might be high with the chicks, but some might survive,and that's better than nothing.

Here's the thing. Even if you did depopulate and then you brought in only vaccinated chicks, nothing has changed. The virus can live for months to years in the environment and it is on microscopic dander. You really can't 100% get rid of it once it is on your property unless you go to extreme lengths or you keep poultry 100% indoors in barns/sites that can be completely sterilized. Most of us backyard chicken keepers don't do this... we let our birds into our yards. The only time depopulation makes total sense (in regards to Marek's) is in larger scale compact farming situations where birds are all kept in 100% indoor pens only that can be "all in/all out" types of management with sterilizing in-between. State labs are mostly used to advising larger scale farms with very different management plans, and so this advice is sound for them... but not really relevant for backyard keepers with chickens wandering freely in yards, homes, barns, etc. Bringing in vaccinated chicks now vs. bringing in vaccinated chicks after depopulating exposes them to the virus regardless.

If you love your surviving birds, they seem in good health and are happy, I do not see a sound reason to cull them; if you do indeed have Marek's confirmed in your flock (recently past or present) then it is there. Culling them won't really change this.

Last edited:
Thank you for that post. Make sense. It is a disease that just won't go away. Sure is an awful disease. I don't think I have the heart to cull these guys. I just need to "farm up" as I have been told and realize I may lose some and that is hard for me. I get so attached. I guess I am fearful of losing these guys....

Thanks to everyone for their input. I will pray this all works out.

My flock consists of a lot of unvaccinated birds. The older birds have not had a problem. I had one hen that died at 13 months to what I think was Marek's, but she was the only one about of 20 birds.

The young birds were a different story. I had three batches of chicks that I hatched here and were not vaccinate.
Hatch 1: 75% mortality
Hatch 2: 85% mortality
Hatch 3: 50% mortality (only two pullets)

Hatches 1 and 3 were broody raised. Hatch 1 had one weak pullet that was the first bird to come down with Marek's She survived for about 4 months, but unfortunately infect all of her brother and sisters in addition to chicks from later hatches.

My point is that not all the chicks will die. You might lose a few, or you might lose a lot. It does get "easier" as you farm up, but it never becomes easy. A couple of weeks ago I lost my favorite pullet followed by my favorite rooster the very next day. I got an awesome new rooster which helped fill the void, but it sucks to see your feathered kids suffering.

If you love your surviving birds, they seem in good health and are happy, I do not see a sound reason to cull them; if you do indeed have Marek's confirmed in your flock (recently past or present) then it is there. Culling them won't really change this.
Agreed.

I have a new roo. nearly adult. We shall see.

Having Marek's in my flock is kinda a different perspective. Last year I was "OMG quarantine those birds, they shouldn't even be able to see each other! Don't use that same dish!

Ha! I brought a new bird (adult)... Quarantine? Yeah right. I have the worst chicken disease there is. (Yes, I do understand strains, and virulence but I'm not going to get old waiting for this flock to die off from old age and 2 more years of fallow ground before I have anything new.

I know I can keep new bird alive for a long long long time whatever you have and might pass on and keep those birds alive long enough to fight it if they can... I have Marek's intensive care expertise... Marek's.though..hard to get well from.

ETA - "recently past or present" is a good point, how about unknown or ignored. People disregard strange deaths and the rest of the flock is fine. Or they somehow have an immune flock... And no one talks about it in polite chicken conversation...funny like V.D.

Last edited:
And also...you cull everthing.. Wait 2 years. Get new babies...happy day.. Everything is going great, until you bring a speck of something from the feed store or a Goose drops dander as it migrates or those little grackles flock in your yard for 20 mins. And Marek's is back.

Back
Top Bottom