Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Is it fairly common for a bird to recover from paralysis? My PR could not use her legs at all but is now walking, jumping, running, etc and appears to be fine other than the tumor that is now growing on her face (I can try and get a pic of that this afternoon). Most of the stories I've read on here, the paralysis seems to be more long-lasting than hers. So perhaps hers was something else, although the tumor makes me think otherwise.
According to Diseases of Poultry, transient paralysis syndrome in one form of Mareks chickens show signs of imbalance and paralysis of the neck or limbs for only 1-2 days, followed by a complete recovery. Then a few weeks later, they can die from Mareks lymphoma tumors. Here is the book online with excerpts to read:
https://books.google.com/books?id=MVAbAAAAQBAJ&q=mareks+disease#v=snippet&q=mareks disease&f=false

At this point, all of my birds have had internal tumors and most of those didn't show signs of limping or leg paralysis. The majority go into respiratory distress, have dark combs, poor circulation, open mouth breathing all followed by lethargy, lack of appetite and wasting. Two had impacted crops. Five have had limping or "drunk walking" (out of more than 2 dozen that have died). None of my birds with leg paralysis have recovered. One died within a week, one died after 3 months (internal tumors and wasting), two were euthanized early on, and the fifth is one of my vaccinated babies that is still living in my brooder coop. She hasn't gotten worse in 2 weeks, but I'm keeping a close eye on her.

According to Diseases of Poultry, transient paralysis syndrome in one form of Mareks chickens show signs of imbalance and paralysis of the neck or limbs for only 1-2 days, followed by a complete recovery. Then a few weeks later, they can die from Mareks lymphoma tumors. Here is the book online with excerpts to read:
https://books.google.com/books?id=MVAbAAAAQBAJ&q=mareks+disease#v=snippet&q=mareks disease&f=false

Thank you. I'll spend some time tonight checking out those links. No change today in the two ailing birds...the EE is still eating and drinking fine but still not normal and the RIR is still having some balance issues but can still stand and walk, so nothing has progressed farther, which I guess is good. The tumor on the PR's face seems bigger today. In a week, she's gone from nothing there to this:

For now I'm just going to go with the assumption it IS Marek's, until I get the money to send one for a necropsy, or I guess if one more dies in the meantime, I could attempt to do one myself. Thank you all so much for the advice so far.

Sorry about the above link, but it does not correlate with my book--they don't include the page I was trying to post in the online version. I'm not really an expert on Mareks like some members of BYC, but from what I have read there are about 3 main types of Mareks, and while some don't cause paralysis, just tumors, some cause permanent paralysis, and in a small percentage, some have the transient paralysis that later lead sot tumors. Apparently there are many cases of Mareks that are never suspected unless someone finds tumors on a necropsy.

Just out of curiousity, are there any breeds that tend to be more Marek's resistant, or just disease-resistant in general? I've heard that Fayoumis are but haven't been able to find any info on any other breeds that might be.

Yes,Fayoumis, and most other breeds can be developed into resistant (not immune) flocks. But how do you know if they are resistant, immune, or carriers showing no symptoms???? You cannot, but can be happy, if you go for years with no symptoms or infected birds! And for the record, both bantam breeds, Sebright and Dutch cannot be bred for resistance or immunity, others, yes. Since Marek's comes in a variety of symptoms==the internal tumors (nerve tissue) not exhibiting unless or until death, only a complete vaccine can eliminate the curse of Marek's. I have vaccinated for over 11 years, and had no apparent problems until 2 years ago, when properly vaccinated chicks, (I raise relatively few birds, but all are vaccinated.at hatch, even a "hatch of one) had a break of 4 of 6 chicks show symptoms and die, at about 3 months old. I blame the vaccine (which CANNOT give Marek's, as it is a Turkey Herpes virus vaccine, NOT MAREK'S) that, in chickens, stimulates immunity to Marek's[s in about 2 weeks. You still cannot be SURE in each individual bird, if there are never symptoms or sudden death--we assume a lot,and still must do what we can to protect our birds, that we love and covet! You can say, that "once you have Marek's on your premises, you will always have it, as it is a long lived virus. There is no valid treatment to date. If you medicate and the bird lives, it may seem to help, but the recovery just gives you a bird to infect any new ones, not vaccinated. Few birds recover from symptoms, and if they do, they are carriers of Marek's for life. Some breeders re vaccinate their older birds each year, if you have small hatches to vaccinate, as the vaccine, mixed, only last about an hour, and might as well use up more of the mix, and those folks feel their birds have added protection--maybe they do. The Marek's vaccine is not created for Backyard Chickens, but the commercial industry. No need to vaccinate their Broilers, Fryers, as they do not keep them long enough to display symptoms,and they.grow them to slaughter weight as fast as they can. Surely there will be more and better research and vaccines, as Marek's is world wide, and a scourge to the Poultry industry, not just our need to raise healthy birds for our own use. I keep a closed flock, but have purchased from Hatcheries, for layers and ALWAYS vaccinated chicks. The little extra cost is well worth it. Feed Store chicks? Your risk and sad if they are not isolated for 2 weeks, if you order vaccinated chicks, and you have the virus on your premises. GOOD LUCK, with Marek's. we need it--along with some wisdom!

It has been over 2 weeks since I noticed my little pullet sleeping on the floor of the coop. She has had no change since then. At least she isn't getting worse. She still gets around fine, although you can tell there is something wrong with her legs when she runs...she takes little steps and is a bit slower than the rest. It almost makes me wonder if it really is Marek's, but logic tells me I'm being silly.

Yesterday I had a scare with her. I came home at lunch time to let the chickens out to free range. I let the pullets out first so they could climb up the hill and forage under the trees. Then I let the hens out. After that I went in the house to warm up a piece of pizza and then head back to work. I decided to check on the sick pullet before I left again. I heard shrieking coming from the yard. The sick pullet got one of her feet caught between two branches. Four of the older pullets were on top of he pecking at her head and neck. I quickly flew down the hill (in my flip flops) to rescue the pullet. She was limping when I got her back in the lawn. Of course I was late getting back to work. Oh well, anything for the chickens. The pullet seems fine today. She is gaining weight slowly (1kg at 13 weeks). All the chicks from that hatch are on the smaller side for some reason. She eats and forages with everyone else. Her main abnormality is that she gets tired and lays down a lot. She will roost at night, but is on the floor of the coop when I get up in the morning. I made her a cozy nest to sleep in, but she won't use it.

Another thing I did was move the big cockerels to their own coop. Not having to deal with them ambushing the sick one is a relief.

I had one that broke a leg and it healed but she limps, a faverolle that kept getting beat up on, and another Polish who was getting beat up on. Now they all live in a pen together and are fine. My first 3 Polish girls are 7 yrs old and have always been together. But a year ago, one was picked on and was moved. Now this third one was getting picked on. (All Polish flock). I do hate to see the 3 separate but I guess that's how it goes.

The one that died last week that I have necropsy pictures of, I'm pretty sure it's Marek's. I happened to read that within the strains, some produce large tumors, medium tumors and small tumors. She was 18 months old and hatchery vaccinated.

I still have 9 that are between 6-8 years old, including my very first hen.

This thread has been pretty quiet - but that is probably a good thing!

This morning I was excited to see my slow pullet was still on the roost instead of sleeping on the floor of the coop. Most days she comes off the roost and spends the night on the ground. Although I'm realistic about her outcome if she does indeed have Marek's, I am also optimistic in the fact that her health has not declined in the last three weeks. Her weight is increasing, she gets around fine and has a great appetite. Maybe she had just enough immunity from the vaccine to combat the virus once she got it.

None of her siblings are showing any signs of illness. They are over three months old now.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom