Not an Orpinton... So what is she?

She's a New Hampshire.

Buff orps have pink legs and no black on them

Production Reds are redder

Sex Links have white on them

Quote:
What a lovely hen!!! Someday I want to have a Buff Orp, maybe after I expand my coop
smile.png

I'm certainly not an expert on New Hampshire's but I thought they were more red than that. I haven't had any so I'm just going by other people's picture's.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Hatchery bred (poor quality) New Hampshires will vary, but no, they're usually and supposed to be a nice bright orange color. Not red, not golden, but orange.

Quote:
Aha- I just looked up New Hampshires- some of the pics look a bit like her for sure- though some look far more like our RIR. I am assuming that her comb is still so little because she is young?

Yep. Most hens don't get big red combs until they start laying (good signs of laying is a red comb) - And of course some breeds such as Leghorns will always have enormous combs.

Feed stores get their chick stock from hatcheries, looks to me like a hatchery Mutt, she could have 3-4 different things going on. One thing is for sure she will be a good layer as that is the Hatchery forte, produce good layers of questionable liniage.

AL

It looks like she was de-beaked; that is a permanent situation, she will not regrow the beak and there is really nothing that you can do to encourage it to grow back. It's intended to prevent picking/pecking damage to closely quartered/stressed birds. I'm glad she found you and it won't be an issue, but it's such a shame to do that to a chicken. And it's perfectly fine to feed her a moistened mash that's easier for her to eat. You are sweet.

Last edited:
As far as her beak. The top will not grow back, but you can trim the bottom ever so often to try to keep both more even. This will allow her to eat easier but she still might have some difficulty. You can just clip the bottom beak with fingernail clippers, scissors, or something like that, but be careful not to cut too much. Then if you like you can shape it with a file. Of course the bottom beak will grow back if not cut too short, so the procedure will have to be repeated every 6-12 months for optimal results. This is just a suggestion...so, if you don't fell comfortable doing this you might find another solution.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom