Not Broody From the Feed Store?????? cont.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kbuckland, May 30, 2010.

1. kbuckland

kbuckland New Egg

May 22, 2010
    OK last year I bought 12 chicks from the feed store. 9 ended up being pullets. Well Spring has come around and no eggs have been hatched. They dont sit on them at all. They kiinda drop em and run... My neighbore told me that her mother said that if they are purchased as day old chicks nlike from the store they will never be broody. She says that basically you need to buy chicks that have been raised by the mother hen or they wont know to brood? is that the right term?? anyhow does anyone know how true that is? It sounds sensible to me. Please share any advice or expereince witrh the subject.

thanks,

karla

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Broodiness has to do with the breed of the chicken. Some have lost that instinct.

I have ducks. One breed I have isn't supposed to go broody but did any way so even breed isn't a 100% indicator.

Now if you really need a broody, just pick up a silkie hen. Those crazy things will hatch out anything [​IMG]

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I've had several chicks that ended up becoming broody hens that were bought as day old chicks (mail-order). It's all about which breed they are, not how they were raised. They were GREAT mama's, too.

4. Frogtown

Frogtown Back 40 Farm

Aug 16, 2007
    South Carolina
    Silkies are not a sure thing, I have had two since 2007 that haven't been broody yet. Now cochins, they are very broody. I had three that went broody in one pen that shared
    9 eggs and all hatched. They shared the chicks too. Even the rooster helped out by letting the chicks get under him when they were cold.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Awww...how cute is that? [​IMG]

6. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    What breeds are they, this is what makes a hen brood or not.
    You have breeds that are bred to lay eggs, lots of eggs. You have breeds that have the broody bred in them.
    Large breeds that will brood are, ( just some)there are more
    Orpingtons
    Dominiques
    Ameraucana / Araucana/ Easter Eggers
    New Hampshire Red
    Delaware
    Jersey Giant
    Australorp
    Sussex
    Chanteclers
    Turkin
    Sumatra
    Cochin
    Brahma
    American Game

Then you have breeds that will brood (( occasionally))
    Wyandotte
    Buckeye
    Welsummer
    Marans
    Faverolles
    Rocks
    there are more

Then you have the breeds that never do but some have but not the norm
    (just a few)
    Lakenvelder
    Hamburgs
    Andalusian
    Leghorns
    Red and black sex links
    Campine
    Spitzhauben
    Polish
    Sultan

Then you have bantam breeds that will brood and some that don't.

A broody hen can raise a clutch of leghorn chicks but this wont make the leghorn hens want to brood .
    Its all about the breed. Hope this helped.

7. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    A broody hen can raise a clutch of leghorn chicks but this wont make the leghorn hens want to brood .
    Its all about the breed. Hope this helped.

Very well put okie.

8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I have two BO, both raised by a mother, that I ask everyday, Please go broody. They just jump off the nest with great glee and never look back! I want a broody!!! Darn it

9. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Mrs. K :

I have two BO, both raised by a mother, that I ask everyday, Please go broody. They just jump off the nest with great glee and never look back! I want a broody!!! Darn it

Are you leaving fake eggs or golf balls in the nest? You need at least 3 , 4 or 5 works best. And is your nest boxes in a dark enough location in your coop. If not hang up some nest curtains I made some from old blue jeans. Works great.
    I have had 16 broody hens so far this year, with some still to go broody. All of my buff Orps have gone broody this year.
    All I need is more brood coop pens LOL [​IMG]

10. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I do have a nest with fake eggs in, but they don't even lay there, however, someone laid an egg in a darker nest that no one had been using for sometime. Maybe I will pile a couple eggs there. I want someone to go broody. mk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by