not broody?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tarheel4lif3, Feb 8, 2008.

1. tarheel4lif3

tarheel4lif3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2007
    I have five hens all are Araucanas (suppose to be) and not one of them are sitting on their eggs. anyone know why they aren't? I was told that they were good setters.

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    You have to wait till their hormones kick in and they go broody on their own. It's not something that we can do anything about. They won't sit on eggs until they are good and ready.

3. tarheel4lif3

tarheel4lif3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2007
    got ya! thanks [​IMG]

4. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

I have also heard mentioned that chickens usually wait until the lay their entire "batch" (im wanting to say clutch) before they go broody as well. Anybody know how many eggs that might actually be? I am nothing but a novice on this but was curious about that as well. Anyone know? Thanks!

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I think it depends on the bird. I think someone a while back had one hatch out 18! I had a Japanese bantam hatch out 10 last year. She completely surprised me. I didn't even know she was setting on eggs...sneaky girl...lol.

6. SoCaClucks

SoCaClucks New Egg

Aug 31, 2007
    Gold Beach, OR
    Last year 3 of my five EE hens went broody. Two did it in the early and mid summer with about 6 eggs under them. Unfortunately I didn't have a rooster at that time so I had to keep removing them from the nest. In late summer one of my girls just dissapeared. I feared the worst, but after a month she returned. She must have hid a nest somewhere private and when nothing hatched finally gave up and came home. I felt really sorry for her to put in all that time with no results, but I just couldn't find her nest anywhere.

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by