Not bumblefoot? What else?

LivDucks

Hatching
Jun 24, 2020
My Welsh Harlequin has a quarter size bump on her foot. Warm, swollen, hard. We did an Epsom salt soak this morning, i was ready to treat it like Bumblefoot, but i do not see a scab anywhere. She doesn't seem lethargic and is walking pretty normal. Suggestions, please!

Attachments

• 20200624_093136.jpg
    20200624_093136.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 39
My Welsh Harlequin has a quarter size bump on her foot. Warm, swollen, hard. We did an Epsom salt soak this morning, i was ready to treat it like Bumblefoot, but i do not see a scab anywhere. She doesn't seem lethargic and is walking pretty normal. Suggestions, please!
It could be gout.
I'm treating a hen I have, who has herself both gout, & bumblefoot. Have to preform surgery on her foot today to get rid of the infection.
I'm giving her 1200mg Tart Cherry Capsules everyday to treat the gout.

It's bumble foot. It doesn't have to occur on the pad. Nor does the bump have a scab right away. Sometimes it's just forming. Keep soaking it for a few days to dry out the fluid inside . It should go flat. Or let it develop for a few days more and a scab should appear (though I would just start soaking it before hand why let it get worse.) Hope this helps!

It's bumble foot. It doesn't have to occur on the pad. Nor does the bump have a scab right away. Sometimes it's just forming. Keep soaking it for a few days to dry out the fluid inside . It should go flat. Or let it develop for a few days more and a scab should appear (though I would just start soaking it before hand why let it get worse.) Hope this helps!
I was going to try some of my essential oils on a gauze with a wrap, would that help? Or not because there isn't an open wound? I appreciate the insight!

@LivDucks this was the bumble on my Runners foot. Never got a scab I took her to the vet she put her on antibiotic and Meloxicam 7 days later I then sliced to open enough to get the infection out.

Attachments

• 5C568BCD-4C7E-4CB7-949E-242932A26E67.jpeg
    5C568BCD-4C7E-4CB7-949E-242932A26E67.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 8
I was going to try some of my essential oils on a gauze with a wrap, would that help? Or not because there isn't an open wound? I appreciate the insight!
I've never used essential oils. I've used Vetricyn but that was with open wound. It wouldn't hurt them to try I guess..?

@LivDucks this was the bumble on my Runners foot. Never got a scab I took her to the vet she put her on antibiotic and Meloxicam 7 days later I then sliced to open enough to get the infection out.
Newbie has to ask a question Miss Lydia.....An infection can start from the inside of the foot without an exterior puncture and or sore to start the infection? :confused:

I'm also dealing with bumblefoot (if anyone has time to read my most recent post https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/why-is-my-duck-limping.1385811/#post-22821449 I'd really appreciate any help!), and it occurred to me last night to ask if castor oil has helped anyone? I've experienced cysts on my own body and have treated them successfully with it, but I can't find anything convincing for bumblefoot via basic internet searching.

Back
Top Bottom