not chirping anymore, are they still ok?

New Dreamz

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
Last night when candling, 3 of my eggs had internally pipped and i could hear them chirping and clicking. Now only one i can hear a faint click and can see slight movement in 2. But the one that was chirping the loudest isnt making a peep? Is it still ok? Is there something i should do?
idunno.gif
fl.gif

Also i see on one of the other eggs that has not pipped yet, it appears to have developed a second air pocket on the side of the egg, Is that egg still good? Help, I'm new at hatching eggs!

Hard to say.

Read Pete55's thread on hatching (a little further down on the page) very carefully, and see if any of his advice applies to your situation.

Hopefully they're ok. We'll send good thoughts your way.

If they are not OK, there is nothing you can do about it, so I suggest that you simply wait it out.

The eggs should be in lock down, so you shouldn't be messing around with them at this point. Close up the incubator, get the humidity up, and leave it alone.

They seem to still be alive. The one that was chirping and bouncing around has pretty much settled to just faint movement i can see. the 2nd one has a bit more movement but no noise. and the one that was faint movement last night is clicking and bouncing.

What humidity should i have it at?

God Bless,
Honnie

Ok, so I know I'm jumping the gun, you always hear don't count your eggs before they hatch.... But I'm trying to stay positive and have faith.

How long after they hatch before I feed them? And what do I feed them?

What temp and humidity am I supposed to keep them until they are ready to go off on their own?

Is there a way to tell if they are males or females when they are born?

I still have mom sitting on 6 eggs. Now if she hatches them on her own, can they swim right away? Im worried about them in the pond. Sorry for all the ?'s, I have never had geese or ducks before.

Thanks to all that have helped me get this far!

God Bless,
Honnie

I found with the three I just hatched, they basically refused food for about 24 hours, and didn't have much interest in water, but I still dipped their bills periodically in both just to be on the safe side. I guess for the first 24 hours they are living off stored nutrients and water from the last of the egg yolk, and just don't need much -- I guess that's why they can ship newly hatched birds on a 2 day journey through the US Postal Service and Fedex in nothing more than a cardboard box with a little straw.

Temp and Humidity -- do you mean for hatching, or after? For hatching, should be about a degree cooler than during incubation, and the humidity should be about 65%, maybe a little more. After they hatch, about 12 hours later after fully fluffed, they should go into a brooder at around 95 degrees, and then the humidity doesn't matter, whatever the ambient moisture in the air is.

Male or female -- well, depends on the breed. Pilgrims and a couple of other really rare breeds (West of England Geese?" exhibit sexual dimorphism, so the genders can be told apart at hatch -- sort of, I found that my male Pilgrim didn't look nearly as different from the 2 females as I thought based on written descriptions, but after some further research I did learn to recognize the difference, it's just more subtle than I thought it was. But, for most breeds, I gather it's quite a bit harder to sex them.

I don't know how long the parents wait before taking them in the water, but whatever they do should be the right thing. For hand-reared, its probably safe after about a week to 10 days in nice, tepid water. My oldest gosling was 2 weeks yesterday, and despite how hard I try to keep her and the brooder clean, she is always messy, and I think I'm going to try to put her in the tub tomorrow in a couple of inches of water and hope she will learn to bathe. My other 2 are 8 and 4 days old now, so I'll wait on them. Honestly, I thought nothing was more messy than ducks, but geese are worse -- they seem to fling their food out of both sides of the beak as they eat.

Good luck, I hope it turns out for you. The hatching phase is the most nerve wracking of the entire incubation process.

Last edited:
I have a pair of brown chinese, white chinese i think goose(she has been sitting on a nest) and a pair of roman tufted, so this will be interesting to see what they are or if they are crosses..

Just checked the bator, one of the eggs has a crack in....
wee.gif
im soo excited!!!

Hi

There you go you've already got the first one externally pipped
celebrate.gif

If you click 'View My BYC Page' below my avatar you'll find lots links for threads on incubation which will help you.

The chicks do have rest periods in the eggs but usually become more vocal after external pipping.

Good luck with those eggs
fl.gif

Pete
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom