Not Cocci ! New symptom

emrldgrn1

Songster
12 Years
Sep 11, 2009
Vass, NC
I have been treating my three month old chicks for what we thought was Cocci but there has been no change in the sick babies over the last three days. I noticed this evening while i was tagging them that the ones that have been acting sleepy and lethargic have swollen eye lids. Its like the eye lid is puffy and pushing the eyeball itself inward because i couldnt tell they were swollen till i was holding one of them and its eyes were opend. The inner lid is showing in the front corners of the eyes of these sick chicks. They even seem to want to keep their eyes closed when they are walking around or eating. they only opend them when i was netting and tagging them and thats when i noticed the swelling.
sad.png

SOUNDS TO ME LIKE THEY HAVE A RESPIRATORY DISEASE
THEY MAY NEED TO BE GIVEN AN ANTIBIOTIC

do they have any coughing or sneezing?
as for swelled eyes there is only the respiratory disease that causes that

what kind of manure do they have?

do they drink more than eat?
how long have you had them on the cocci meds?
what kind of medication did you give them?
read my post on green diarrhea and lathargic chickens

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=251858

email me with any questions

Their droppings are normal and look like all the rest of the chicks droppings. No loose, odd colored, or bloody droppings. They have been on Corid for three days with no change. They have no cough, sneeze, discharge, weazing, openmouth breathing, or eye discharge. There are thirty chicks in this 12X12 coop on a sand floor. Out of the thirty i have four over a ten day period that have been sleepy or lethargic and swollen eye lids but swelling in towards the eyeball not outward so it doesnt look puffy. I couldnt even tell they were swollen till i caught one of these chicks (which wasnt easy) and noticed that when its eyes were opend i could see the inner lid tissue and the eye seemed slightly pushed or sunken back into the socket. I have browsed and searched exstensivly through the postings and cant find anything that really seems to match up to this. I will add better pics in the morning if someone thinks it might help them to identify this.

40980_chicken_eye_1.jpg

40980_chicken_eye_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom