Not coming OUT of coop and run

MarkJr

Free Ranging
Jun 15, 2020
I’ve read about chickens not going into the coop and run, but I had the opposite today.
Opened up run for free range and went back into the house. Came back out about 2pm, and they were in the run and coop scratching around like it was normal. Tried calling them out with scratch, but they weren’t interested. Literally went back inside the coop.

They stayed in all day. My deep bedding has been piled on all sides of the coop. The run has been thoroughly turned over. They never stepped over the threshold to the outside world.

I’ve read about chickens not going into the coop and run, but I had the opposite today.
Opened up run for free range and went back into the house. Came back out about 2pm, and they were in the run and coop scratching around like it was normal. Tried calling them out with scratch, but they weren’t interested. Literally went back inside the coop.
:idunno Some things will likely remain a mystery.....
Why they act like they are dying to go out the door when it's closed...
Why won't they go out when the door is open...
Why do they cross the road....

Only explanation I've figured is they are weirdos. :lau

Weird chickens become dumplings. 9 weird chickens make me wonder what I’m doing wrong.

I guess the bright side is my coop and run are large enough for them to be comfortable.

They stayed in all day. My deep bedding has been piled on all sides of the coop. The run has been thoroughly turned over. They never stepped over the threshold to the outside world.
Weird chickens become dumplings. 9 weird chickens make me wonder what I’m doing wrong.

I guess the bright side is my coop and run are large enough for them to be comfortable.
Sounds like their fine, they were busy digging through bedding all day.
I leave the door open for my GF hen and pullets to go roam during the day when I'm home. Sometimes they go out, other times they choose to hang out "inside" - makes no difference to me.

mine stayed in the run all day once when it was super windy and the wind was whipping up leaves and other light material. They also stayed under the same bush when let out to free range after a raptor sighting for 3 days, I guess they just don't like things flying overhead, lol.
:idunno.

We're both in OR, so I'm wondering if you have similar weather to my area near PDX.

We had some strong winds 2 days ago, and it was the first really cold morning the birds had encountered. They stayed in their run for most the day. I'm suspecting its because it's well sheltered from the wind and a bit warmer in there. Might be the same for your flock?

We're both in OR, so I'm wondering if you have similar weather to my area near PDX.

We had some strong winds 2 days ago, and it was the first really cold morning the birds had encountered. They stayed in their run for most the day. I'm suspecting its because it's well sheltered from the wind and a bit warmer in there. Might be the same for your flock?
Actually didn’t think about that. It was first frost. Still not sure why they stayed in all day though. Sunny and 58°. No wind.

Back
Top Bottom