not eating/tail down/walks with a limp...Please help

AdrieeC

Pink Roses Farm
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Pearl River
Noticed strange chicken behavior yesterday evening and she was rather easy to capture. It was quite hot yesterday... the chickens drank about 2 gallons of water. the tractor is in the shade of the tree, the run is fully covered and when free ranging there are several shady places where they hang out in the yard. After checking her over we moved her to the bathroom, set her up real nice and put a fan in there to keep her cool...

All chickens save this one are acting normal. This one only drinks when I dip her beak in the water. Her BM's are normal. She did not lay today. It looked as though she passed a broken egg last night. Nose and eyes are clear, evades capture to the best of her ability. is able to walk and run with a limp.

What could be wrong with her, and what if anything can I do to help her?

Thank you for responding! I am not sure how to tell if there is an egg inside a chicken whole or broken really. I saw that she passed a little more egg looking stuff yesterday/last night. She is still pooping so I have to assume she is eating something, just not when I offer it to her.

Someone I talked to said she might be egg bound...said that her tail being down made him think of it. But if she were egg bound would she not be dead by now?

If you think it is an infection, should I start a round of anti-biotics?

you could try to gently check her vent. If she passed a broken egg, it is possible that there may be a piece stuck in her vent, which can lead to infection. I would also try warm soaks to her bottom if you suspect eggbound, also, a vent check may reveal something else. I know it sounds weird, but when we have a question, we just lube up a finger and very gently feel inside their vent. I would also keep her isolated until you know for sure whats going on. Good luck with your sweet girl
smile.png

I am leaning towards her being eggbound too, and here's why--if she is keeping her tail down and limping, that's a good indication. Now, when you see her walk, does she walk a bit like a penguin? If you can, follow Mikas advice and do that vent check (I know eww), and I am thinking if you lube her up a bit, she may be able to pass the egg, or maybe you might be able to get some broken shell out....and a bit of duramayacin in the drinking water sure wouldn't hurt....just in case she may have an infection. Electrolites/vitamin in the drinking water would be good as well.

Good luck to you!

Sharon

Two things came to mind - egg bound and bumblefoot. I do not know if being egg bound causes them to limp.

I have not yet had to deal with these two issues - but am sure it is coming.

There are a plethora of posts dealing with both issues - use the search link found in the upper blue bar - just above your logged in user name. This search allows you to search the different forums for a word or phrase, or by author - etc. (not the google search box on the right)

For egg bound - warm baths, crushed tums are something I have read about. It does not appear to be a problem that actually has a cure - just supportive nursing and care - and it often re-occurs. (Speckledhen has very informative posts about this malady - she recommends injectable penicillin for an egg bound infection)

Bumblefoot is an infection in the foot - usually you see an enlarged area with a dark looking center - found on the bottom of the foot, can be toe or pad. Soak the foot. This infection will need to be cut out, the "plug" of infection pulled (plug is a solid mass of puss - not runny), neosporin filled (nothing with a pain killer - no 'caines in the ingredients) and wrapped.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom