1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Not eating the good stuff...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Jun 19, 2010.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Crowing

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    My girls are about 17 weeks old now and I have been experimenting with feeding them different things... leftovers, lettuce, cabbage, strawberries... etc... I've noticed that they don't really like eating any of the stuff, but love the wild mustard plants and the chicken starter... lol... is that normal? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2010

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    sure its normal... Ours won't touch veggies, but toss in some sweet fruits and ya better get outta the way! They're worse than kids! [​IMG]

3. shopchicks

shopchicks Songster

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Mine took awhile to figure things out. The first lettuce I threw in there pretty much got stomped into the ground rather than being eaten. If you put something they already like in a certain bowl each morning, then start switching to other foods in that same bowl, they will start to associate that bowl with treats and try what you put in it for them. Just don't leave that bowl in the run except when you're giving a treat. My girls learned quickly this way and now they will eat most things out of the treat bowl.

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Songster

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Quote:Good insider's tip! Awesome! Thanks for sharing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by