Not eating their grit

Digestive granite grit or oyster shell grit for calcium?

Maybe I misunderstand...but,
how can you have frozen nipples(which kind?) and mosquitoes at the same time?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3390242
Digestive granite grit or oyster shell grit for calcium?

Maybe I misunderstand...but,
how can you have frozen nipples(which kind?) and mosquitoes at the same time?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3390242
I’m based in the UK.
I also thought it was too early for mosquitos, but I’m almost certain that’s what they are.

It’s not the nipples that have frozen, it’s the tubes that carry water from the water container to the nipples.

I’ll post pics of my coop in my profile in the near future.

Chickens need two kinds of grit; granite grit which helps them digest there food (what we use our teeth for) and calcium grit which is often made from oyster shells, but can also be limestone, for egg laying.
Which kind have you got?

I have granite grit and throw crushed eggshells for calcium.
I didn't think of eggshells, but I believe they are good for calcium too.
My chickens have never wanted to eat their granite grit that I gave them, but when I have butchered them they always have a good about of grit in them.
I think they are just getting the naturally occurring stuff from the ground. I wouldn't worry too much, as long as it is there, I think they will get it if they need it.
If they didn't eat calcium grit, and didn't get any from other sources (like the eggshells and many feeds) that would be more of a concern.

I didn't think of eggshells, but I believe they are good for calcium too.
My chickens have never wanted to eat their granite grit that I gave them, but when I have butchered them they always have a good about of grit in them.
I think they are just getting the naturally occurring stuff from the ground. I wouldn't worry too much, as long as it is there, I think they will get it if they need it.
If they didn't eat calcium grit, and didn't get any from other sources (like the eggshells and many feeds) that would be more of a concern.
Thanks. I’m not worried about the issue anymore.

I have a rooster in a cage right now, was infested with mites. He's eating great now, he's very, very thin. I'm giving him regular pellets. chick starter, scratch, sunflower seeds. Anything I can think of to put some weight on him. I've been giving him extras, broccoli, pumpkin puree, a few raisins, apple. He hasn't touched the grit. his poop was dry and regular when he first come in the house, but now he has diarrhea. Which I figure is normal from all the extra foods. Another thing I noticed his crop never gets big. Is this normal because he was so thin? Is this normal to never eat grit? Even when he doesn't have access to pebbles?

Back
Top Bottom