Not enough evaporation. They will drown.

theprov31gal

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 21, 2015
I have not had a great duck year.
My ancient incubator killed a whole batch by malfunctioning.
Then I had two really good batches, and now I have 36 eggs in my farm innovator and it has been raining and horrifically humid for 2 weeks. I moved that incubator upstairs to my bedroom, where I thought it would be less humid, and it was and I got it from 70 down to the 40s.
Today is day 21 and I canceled them and these eggs only show evaporation that looks like about 10 days. YIKES.
So I drug the old dehumidifier up to the bedroom took the plugs out of the incubator and sat the dehumidifier next to it.
We are now down to the 30s.
What else can I do to speed evaporation so they don't drown? I've honestly even thought about putting rice in the bottom where the water should go to see if that does anything. That's probably crazy though right?
This year has been a comedy of errors. And none of them are funny.

Rice doesn't absorb moisture but running a dehumidifier in a mall room might help. Perhaps a dry rag?
Thanks for responding. I've got the dehumidifier running. I hope it is enough to dehydrate the eggs quickly , we've got a week to work with.
I'm not sure about a dry rag.
But my thoughts with the rice are like if you accidentally get your phone wet, and you put it in a bag of dry rice, it draws the water out and dries the phone.

Thanks for responding. I've got the dehumidifier running. I hope it is enough to dehydrate the eggs quickly , we've got a week to work with.
I'm not sure about a dry rag.
But my thoughts with the rice are like if you accidentally get your phone wet, and you put it in a bag of dry rice, it draws the water out and dries the phone.
It actually doesn't, rice is grown and consumed in some pretty sticky areas and still stored in burlap sacks. It's relatively shelf stable (so to speak) in those environments, if it absorbed moisture that quickly, it would spoil.
They are little damp rid things although I'm not sure you can put them in your incubator.

Oh, lol, I've never thought about it like that.
I've always put wet elecronic things in a bag of rice if they were damp, like you read about.
Well, it was just a wild thought anyways, born of desperation. Lol

UPDATE!!!!
I've been running a dehumidifier next to the incubator with all vents open.
SOME eggs have larger air cells, YAY , some don't. But the humidity has gotten down to 32 that's the best I can do in a small closed off room with a ceiling fan and dehumidifier. It's HUMID here!
Everyone is still alive though, so that's at least good.

Back
Top Bottom