Not (entirely) my fault

Callender Girl

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 18, 2018
North Central Iowa
While my sister was in town, we went to Bomgaars, ostensibly for her to look at the clearanced garden art. I joked with the poultry lady, Jody, about having sold all her "assorted rare breed" pullet chicks and having nothing left but meat birds -- which I have NO interest in buying.

HOWEVER, it seems there was one little rare breed left; she was smaller than the meat birds and spent her days hiding under feeders and waterers. One scared little girl. BUT, I promised myself I would not buy any more chickens this year.

And, I didn't. Jody said if I would take the little one, she would let me have her for free. Well, what was I supposed to do?

I have never tried to raise one chick alone, and although Jody said this girl was pretty hard to catch, she has spent much of the afternoon wrapped up in a towel nest on my lap. I have set up a cardboard box brooder with a water dish, feeder of chick starter, her towel, some sawdust on the floor and a mirror to keep her company.

Here's my question: How am I going to sleep while I hold her in my lap tonight? lol

Jody said the only stipulation is that I have to tell her what breed our mystery chick is. And, furthermore, after making me this "deal," she turned to my sister and said, "We know she has a problem."

Thank you for understanding! I truly had no choice!! And I know she needs companionship, which is why I have never gotten only one chick at a time.

When she moves outdoors (she spent the night in a box in my bedroom, with a heat lamp hung above), she will have plenty of company (including a couple of bantams who are only slightly bigger than she is now). And, I really can't get MORE chickens this year; my spring pullets are just starting to lay.

However, she seems quite content with my company. I am guessing she is at least two weeks old and has decided that my arm is a great roost. She will sleep in my lap, wrapped in a towel, but as soon as she wakes, she wants to perch on my hand or arm. I think we will become very close friends!

If she is almost as big as the bantams, you might be able to leave them with her, granted they’re not mean to her. I rescued a chick about a month ago, I have no idea how old she is but the people who had her (alone in their garage) were feeding her rat food only. She was so underweight, and so pale, I couldn’t leave her. Since I couldn’t have one bird in my house, I put her with my flock. They pecked and chased her, and she roosts on a tree beside the coop, but I put her in the coop every night, and she seems happy. They don’t really peck at her anymore, but she is the first to hop the fence when I let them out in the morning.

Jody said the only stipulation is that I have to tell her what breed our mystery chick is. And, furthermore, after making me this "deal," she turned to my sister and said, "We know she has a problem."

Some addictions are worth it. Just keep telling yourself you had no choice and it was not your fault. The support group here on BYC will totally understand. :ya

As I am extremely low-tech, I don't post photos. But, I will try to get someone to educate me so everyone can see the chick I DID NOT BUY. Said chick has spent the last hour napping on my shoulder.

One of my two bantams is truly feisty, and new girl is still too young to move outdoors. I do have one larger hen she MIGHT be able to bunk with. We'll see how it all shakes out in a few weeks.

Thank you all for your support of my "problem."

Back
Top Bottom