Not extending neck; 11w old silver appleyard

SilverApples

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2023
Hi all!
New to duck ownership and only 3w in I’ve already come across something that isn’t in my books or rather could be several things.

Our silver appleyards (heavy sort, not miniature) we’re brought in at about 8w old, and have been doing fine on Heygates duck/goose pellets (17% protein) and foraging. One has a wonky beak since ownership. This morning she wasn’t extending her neck and was a bit slower than the others. When alerted she could hold it 60% up. Nothing to see or feel on examination.

Worried it could be the start of something sinister, maybe even botulism? Wry neck? Or could it just be a sign of generic illness? They have access to a paddling pool that is filled from stored rain water, could this be a problem? Attached are pics shes the one at the back.

Attachments

• 5640C2E3-E96F-49AE-9C23-621D8E8FF041.jpeg
    5640C2E3-E96F-49AE-9C23-621D8E8FF041.jpeg
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 247
  • FA8EA841-2629-45E6-BD86-95E31BE1E940.jpeg
    FA8EA841-2629-45E6-BD86-95E31BE1E940.jpeg
    795.5 KB · Views: 13
Hi all!
New to duck ownership and only 3w in I’ve already come across something that isn’t in my books or rather could be several things.

Our silver appleyards (heavy sort, not miniature) we’re brought in at about 8w old, and have been doing fine on Heygates duck/goose pellets (17% protein) and foraging. One has a wonky beak since ownership. This morning she wasn’t extending her neck and was a bit slower than the others. When alerted she could hold it 60% up. Nothing to see or feel on examination.

Worried it could be the start of something sinister, maybe even botulism? Wry neck? Or could it just be a sign of generic illness? They have access to a paddling pool that is filled from stored rain water, could this be a problem? Attached are pics shes the one at the back.
Okay, from her posture in the first picture she looks like a broody duck. Does she run around in the duck-yard like the ball in a pinball-machin, quacking loudly, wagging her tail really fast? - That would be broody behavior. Broodies rarely extend their necks, they always run around like they're ready to attack.
The other possibility would be a neck injury, causing her pain. Do you have a drake in your flock? - Duck mating is brutal and can cause neck injuries. And can occur even in an all female flock, its a ritual to establish a pecking order.
If she isn't broody, you can add a poultry vitamin solution to their drinking water - it is called rooster-booster here in the U.S. and then observe her for a couple of days. If it does not improve try to see a veterinarian.
@Miss Lydia - What are your thoughts?

It can also mean she isn't feeling good. Is she having problems keeping up with the others? is she eating and drinking well? Hows her poop look?

I don’t think she’s broody or been mates roughly, drake hasn’t shown any mating behaviour yet. They’re terribly shy so I had to spy on them from a distance last night and she was hanging back slower than the others and didn’t immediate stuff her face with food like usual, so I think she’s generally ‘off colour’. Will see how she is this morning 🤞

If you have a way of keeping her separated from the others but where they can all still see each other you can monitor her better and let her rest. See how her poop looks.
Do you have any antibiotics and activated charcoal? Just in case.

I don’t have anything dick specific only some oral
Sulfatrim left over from my hens. She’s much the same, I’ve offered raised food and water in case it’s a physical reluctance to move her neck but she goes up to the food and mouths it half heartedly but doesn’t shovel it in like usual 😔

Yes that’s a good point. I’ll look up the dose range and give another good check up tomorrow, I couldn’t find/see anything else this evening, she can physically move her neck so must be illness rather than neck specific

Probably wouldn’t hurt to start her in an antibiotic since you have some. If she doesn’t start feeling better in a few days you might want to look into a vet.

Back
Top Bottom