Not fertile

Nugget

Songster
12 Years
Sep 2, 2007
hi guys, it’s been ages since I’ve been in here. I am not sure if this is the best place for this question, I am just trying to replenish my own flock, not breed for show or sale. Not yet anyway.

I have a nice black bearded silkie pullet and an unrelated buff/white silkie cockerel. The pullet just started to lay. I separated them 4 weeks ago hoping to incubate some eggs and build up my number of purebred silkies. The cockerel has been trying but so far I am batting zero for fertile eggs.

I clipped the fur around their vents recently hoping that might help but nothing yet.

Maybe I am hoping for too much too soon. I hatched 8 silkies last year. I got 2 females from that hatch and one died, so I am anxious to get some girls. I welcome any suggestions.

What method are you using to determine your fertility rate? Are you cracking eggs and examining the blastodisc or are you doing a period of incubation and candling?

I incubated and candled the eggs. They are both young, not a year old yet but he has been trying to breed. I will give them time but wanted to see if there were any other secrets out there for getting some success ;)

I agree with @olgreymare. In order to make an omelette, you have to crack a few eggs...you also have to crack a few to check fertility. Even then you might get a dud or two every now and again.

I have 5 OEGB BBR eggs in my incubator right now that a young pullet abandoned. Had cracked two before giving her the 5 and both were fertile. Candled tonight. 4 fertile and developing, one dud.

Young cockerels, bless em, they are all strut and fuss, they quarrel, they peck, they crow and act all important. The thing they are good for they aren't always good at....at first. Watching a young cockerel with an older hen is almost as painful to see as it must be for the poor hen. The good thing is that they do get better at it so with that thought in mind, hang in there and good luck! Happy cracking!

Young cockerels, bless em, they are all strut and fuss, they quarrel, they peck, they crow and act all important. The thing they are good for they aren't always good at....at first. Watching a young cockerel with an older hen is almost as painful to see as it must be for the poor hen. The good thing is that they do get better at it so with that thought in mind, hang in there and good luck! Happy cracking!

:gig:gig:gig:gig

Thanks for your thoughts! I found something online about giving them butt-haircuts. We did that 4 days ago and I finally candled a viable egg tonight :) whether it was the haircut or them figuring it out I don’t know but looks like we are getting somewhere!

Back
Top Bottom