not getting any more eggs!!!Why??

dawn_pomerleau

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 24, 2008
Im new to this site so I want to thank everyone for their help. I have 6 silkie bantam hens and one roo all are just over a year old. I had been averaging 4 eggs a day, until about a month ago and all has stopped. Only one hen is broody right now. When this all started I had gotten one very thin egg, then about two weeks ago I got another thin egg. They are being fed layer pellets, an occasional cup of scratch, some garden scraps and they free range also. I started to give oyster shell too when I saw the first thin egg. The girls are all happy and talkative and come running to me when they see me, so can anyone tell me what s up with egg production?? Thanks in advance

twhudson

Chirping
12 Years
May 24, 2007
Do you have lights in the coop? As we have less and less daylight you have to supply extra light. They need 14 hours of light a day or so.

twhudson

Chirping
12 Years
May 24, 2007
It doesn't have to real bright. I have an 8x14 coop and I use one 50 watt bulb. I usually have it come on at 5pm and it goes off at 10pm. It's on a timer.

dawn_pomerleau

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 24, 2008
Great idea, I never thought of a timer. Im still new to the chicken world so all the help is great. Thanks

Gloria

Songster
11 Years
Jun 17, 2008
Davison/Otisville,Michigan
This might be a dumb question, but do silkie bantams molt? Maybe that's what's happening too. BTW
welcome-byc.gif
Dawn! Glad you could join us!

dawn_pomerleau

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 24, 2008
Yes they do molt, one was molting last month, and this morning I found a ton of white feathers in the coop from my only white silkie, so I guess that could be it too. They are all the same age.

Top Bottom