Not getting eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by first time farmer, Sep 17, 2010.

1. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hey everyone I have not posted in a very long time as I have been so busy with work and school. But I have run into a problem. I got my new flock of layers back in march (march 15) If I can remember correctly chickens start laying around 20-25 weeks(please correct me if im wrong) I have a flock of 27 barred rocks and nh reds. I got the from mcmurry and I got the free rare chick which ended up being a hamberg rooster. So now to my problem. I am not getting eggs. I will get 1 or 2 a day when I should be getting much more. I am feeding 16 % layer feed. So what am I doing wrong. I have a theory that it might be because I have a rooster(my first) but I have no clue. I would really like advice on this as I would like to be getting eggs haha

Thanks

2. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Not sure why they are not laying except that some pullets take longer than others to start laying. The summer heat could put them off on laying too! I do know that having or not having a roo has no effect on whether or not a hen lays.

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Time to worm and do a parasite check for mites and lice... Read up on it... Possible molt??? Feathers everywhere.. Feel your birds...Are they heavy??? If not well something is eatin them Combs red??? (should be if they are laying)

4. hongyush2008

hongyush2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    shenzhen
    Quote:Ya, i have th same question...

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Hidden nest. If they look like they should be laying. The red larger comb and appearance of wattle

6. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have checked most of those things but I will read more and check again. All my hens have large red combs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by