1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Not getting turkeys,but gooses

Discussion in 'Geese' started by LoveThemBirds, Mar 19, 2015.

1. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Songster

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Ok.I will soon be raising 1 or 2 geese,depending on a price.I know nothing about geese,but a little bit,and would like if you Goose experts could give me true advice on geese.

What i want in a goose:
    I would like a goose who lays fare,docile,calm,and good protector.I would not like anything other then what I described.

Questions:
    Is it better to feed a goose organic?
    What are predators that can kill a goose?
    Will one goose do good with 18 chicekns,and 6 ducks?
    When can I introduce my "Goslings" to the flock?
    Any diseases I should be concerned about?
    Immune systems (Good or bad?)

And if there is anything you think I should know,let me know,thanks!

2. Anything that can kill a chicken can kill a goose. Geese have no real way of defending themselves against anything with teeth or claws. The only thing they can do is sound the alarm if they see a predator, and if you arent around to hear it its not much help. Geese arent protectors.
    A lone goose with ducks and chickens, although not really alone will not be happy being the only goose. They are social animals and would rather be with their own kind. A pair is best.
    Geese have a laying season in the spring. Usually lasting 3-4 months. The heavier or greylag decended type breeds lay anywhere from 35-60 eggs average and lighter breeds (chinese)lay 60-100 eggs. If you are wanting a calm quiet goose the greylag type breeds are best, the chinese are loud. Geese lay 1 egg every other day.
    When Introducing young ones to other birds its best to wait until they are 2-3 mos old depending on the termperment of the other birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by