Not getting turkeys,but gooses

LoveThemBirds

Songster
Feb 23, 2015
Petting Buffy Like a Dog
Ok.I will soon be raising 1 or 2 geese,depending on a price.I know nothing about geese,but a little bit,and would like if you Goose experts could give me true advice on geese.

What i want in a goose:
I would like a goose who lays fare,docile,calm,and good protector.I would not like anything other then what I described.

Questions:
Is it better to feed a goose organic?
What are predators that can kill a goose?
Will one goose do good with 18 chicekns,and 6 ducks?
When can I introduce my "Goslings" to the flock?
Any diseases I should be concerned about?
Immune systems (Good or bad?)

And if there is anything you think I should know,let me know,thanks!

Anything that can kill a chicken can kill a goose. Geese have no real way of defending themselves against anything with teeth or claws. The only thing they can do is sound the alarm if they see a predator, and if you arent around to hear it its not much help. Geese arent protectors.
A lone goose with ducks and chickens, although not really alone will not be happy being the only goose. They are social animals and would rather be with their own kind. A pair is best.
Geese have a laying season in the spring. Usually lasting 3-4 months. The heavier or greylag decended type breeds lay anywhere from 35-60 eggs average and lighter breeds (chinese)lay 60-100 eggs. If you are wanting a calm quiet goose the greylag type breeds are best, the chinese are loud. Geese lay 1 egg every other day.
When Introducing young ones to other birds its best to wait until they are 2-3 mos old depending on the termperment of the other birds.

Back
Top Bottom