Not going to bed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ssteiner, Dec 9, 2008.

1. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    This morning, I put two of my older girls (not full grown yet, but feathers coming in) in their coop outside for the first time. Came home at lunch, they were still in their coop. Food and water are available outside in their run, so I was hoping they'd make the connection before they got too hungry or thirsty. Came home after work (dark outside, about 60 degrees) and they were in their run, but huddled in a corner. I assume they ate/drank, but I wonder why they didn't head back inside. Will they eventually figure out how to go back in their coop as well? Anyway, they're back inside now. Thanks for any help.

-Scott

2. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    You may have to go put them to bed, several times, before they learn that they are supposed to go into the coop at night.

I had to put mine inside of their coop for a few nights, before they learned that they were supposed to go to bed in there...lol

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Like you said, they were out for the first time and had no one to teach them what to do. Now that you are their mama, you have the responsibility of teaching them. Normally I will put young ones in their coop and leave them locked in with food and water for several days so they will begin to feel like it is home. Remember, you have taken them away from the only home they have ever known and put them in a strange place, all alone. They are frightened and don't know what to do. After they get used to the coop, then open the door to the run. Even then it would be wise to leave a light on in the coop until you get home from work. It will act as a guide and encourage them to go in. Once they get used to it all and are going in on their own, leave the light off. They'll get it, they just need to be taught.

4. Texas ChickenZ

Texas ChickenZ Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2008
    North Texas
    I unwittingly did what BeckyLa suggested and kept my chicks in their new coop for about a week before letting them out in their run. I say unwittingly because the only reason I left them there was their run was not completely finished. Several evenings this week it was just past dusk before I could get out there to close their pop door, and all 26 were nestled in the coop. I thought it was because they knew when it gets dark you go inside! But I guess BeckyLa is right. They had spent so much time in their already they knew they wanted to go back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by