Not good. Help, please?

Mmmaddie13

Songster
9 Years
Mar 5, 2011
Berthoud, CO
Hi,
Tomorrow's hatch day, one tried to hatch this morning around 8, but I just got home and it still only has a pip, and the membrane looks white, and solid like ceramic or plaster, and I don't think baby is alive anymore.. I'm using a Brinsea Octagon Advance EX (expensive, you'd think it'd work right), and this is it's second attempt at hatching. The first time, I found out after 26 days that the temperature gauge was reading wrong, it was at 96.1, when it read 99.6 degrees. I calibrated it to my trusty hygro/thermometer, and it was good to go, so now that I'm trying again, I had the humidity set to 68%, and it was steady, but then why is the membrane drying out!? I'm not happy with this. I just turned it up to be about 75% because obviously it's too dry.

What can I do?
sad.png

I've been looking forward to these guys for a while, and I really don't want to lose them. My dog passed away yesterday and I was hoping for some new life when I got home...
hmm.png

Well, if the temp was that low, id wait for a few more days, because the babies would grow slower. If you could open to bator for just long enough to grab that egg that pipped and then stop, you could open the egg and see what happened (shrink wrapped, maybe still alive) good luck
smile.png

Quote:
No I have calibrated it for this second batch, so that's why I'm freaking out. I know it should be perfect, but obviously it's not. I think it's actually still moving. It just looks dried out.. what should I do?
I've got one other pip that I can see, and one that looks like it's rocking.

Quote:
No I have calibrated it for this second batch, so that's why I'm freaking out. I know it should be perfect, but obviously it's not. I think it's actually still moving. It just looks dried out.. what should I do?

well then....wait. And wait. And wait just a little bit more. You might just have a tired chick in there who is getting his strength up to zip.

Quote:

well then....wait. And wait. And wait just a little bit more. You might just have a tired chick in there who is getting his strength up to zip.

What's a sure way to know that it's shrink-wrapped?

Quote:

Thats one thing I dont know.... sorry:(

Quote:

Thats one thing I dont know.... sorry:(

That's alright, thank you.
I'll wait.

If the membrane was truely dried, it would turn a brownish/yellow color along the edges. I don't think it is very dry is it is still white, I remember freaking out over a similar situation my first batch and it turns out it really wasn't dry. If I were you, I would just wait. You could fill a spray bottle with warm water and mist the egg a little bit if you feel like you could open the bator pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom