Not Hatching. Air Sac Marks.

HeidiHii

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2021
Hi there everyone,

I've been looking after duck eggs which were abandoned, 9 out of the 11 have hatched a few days ago 🙏🏻 these last two I'm not sure what to do. From the photos does anyone know what's happening or have any advice xx

Thank you all,

Heidi💖
IMG_20210629_212050.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210629_212029.jpg
    IMG_20210629_212029.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210629_212010.jpg
    IMG_20210629_212010.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210629_212005.jpg
    IMG_20210629_212005.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 3
I start by poking a hole in the air cell end with a sharp screw. Then I start peeling off the shell off the air cell until you can clearly see the duckling. I put my finger in that hole to feel if the duckling or chick is moving/alive. If it's stiff and cold it's dead. If it's alive then you will have to cover the hole with something (masking or paint tape) or moisten the membrane and put it in an open sandwich baggie back into the incubator.
IMG_1502.JPG

How should I go about doing it? I have waited five days since the first one hatched.??

I start by poking a hole in the air cell end with a sharp screw. Then I start peeling off the shell off the air cell until you can clearly see the duckling. I put my finger in that hole to feel if the duckling or chick is moving/alive. If it's stiff and cold it's dead. If it's alive then you will have to cover the hole with something (masking or paint tape) or moisten the membrane and put it in an open sandwich baggie back into the incubator.
View attachment 2740195
Thank you, I think I will do this. Its well over 30 days so it's either not made it or its not coming out. If its alive but fully grown duckling can't I just leave it in the incubator without the bag. Why would the memberane still be attached? Xx

Thank you, I think I will do this. Its well over 30 days so it's either not made it or its not coming out. If its alive but fully grown duckling can't I just leave it in the incubator without the bag. Why would the memberane still be attached? Xx
The membrane is always around the chick/duckling, you'd have to peel it back but it has blood vessels in it and the chick/duckling would bleed out if it's not ready to hatch.
This duckling in the baggie had internally pipped. Your eggs have not internally pipped.
I'm not sure if you know or not but internally pipped is when the chick/ duckling breaks through the membrane to breathe the air in the air cell. You would be able to see a beak/bill when candling.
Yours haven't internally pipped would mean 1 of 3 things: 1. the duckling is dead 2. the duckling is not ready to hatch yet or 3. the duckling is malpositioned (think breech birth comparison)

Back
Top Bottom