Not interested in laying food

tapoodle

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2020
I have 4 hens and a rooster. All are about 7 months old and hens started laying about 3 weeks ago. They are inside at night and in a 10x10 tractor during the day. While young they all happily ate grower feed. Now that I have transitioned to layer feed they hardly touch it. Have tried different brands and types. During the warm months they got tomato, squash. corn on cob and other kinds of foods regularly as treats. Now they are getting greens and the occasional corn ears. They also get a scratch scatter daily and small mealworm treats daily. Since eggs are nice looking with bright yolks, I haven't been too worried, but should I be?

I should add that my first experience with chickens was years ago and I was able to let them free range. Never had any problems. Thanks in advance.

I have 4 hens and a rooster. All are about 7 months old and hens started laying about 3 weeks ago. They are inside at night and in a 10x10 tractor during the day. While young they all happily ate grower feed. Now that I have transitioned to layer feed they hardly touch it. Have tried different brands and types. During the warm months they got tomato, squash. corn on cob and other kinds of foods regularly as treats. Now they are getting greens and the occasional corn ears. They also get a scratch scatter daily and small mealworm treats daily. Since eggs are nice looking with bright yolks, I haven't been too worried, but should I be?

I should add that my first experience with chickens was years ago and I was able to let them free range. Never had any problems. Thanks in advance.
I would put them back on grower or switch to starter, Flock Raiser or All Flock and put oyster shell out in containers for free choice eating. Your cockerel does not need the extra calcium and all would benefit from the extra protein found in the alternate feeds. I shoot for 18-20% protein in the feed.
At this point I would stop all treats until they are regularly eating their complete diet. Then offer treats at a minimum. Treats are not required for good health and can often lead to over indulgence and nutritional imbalances.

Back
Top Bottom