Not laying in nest box

So now we are back to one of them laying on the poop board. Is it possible that one is laying when it is still dark out? Or too dark to make it to the nest box? She's dropping it where ever she is roosted.

So now we are back to one of them laying on the poop board. Is it possible that one is laying when it is still dark out? Or too dark to make it to the nest box? She's dropping it where ever she is roosted.
It's absolutely possible. Especially since chickens won't bother to come off the roost if it isn't light enough to see. They will do what they need to do right on the roost. Including lay, lol. Business is business. Even though they can do this, don't mean it's normal or not cause for concern. It could potentially indicate an underlying reproductive issue. Internal clocks can't function properly if a gear is off.

It's absolutely possible. Especially since chickens won't bother to come off the roost if it isn't light enough to see. They will do what they need to do right on the roost. Including lay, lol. Business is business. Even though they can do this, don't mean it's normal or not cause for concern. It could potentially indicate an underlying reproductive issue. Internal clocks can't function properly if a gear is off.
Any ideas on what health issues could be a factor? I think she may be the one who laid a double yolk egg too. She's been laying for just over 3 weeks. We are on almost a week of laying on the poop board. I debated about putting a light on a timer in the coop to kick on at like 6ish.

Any ideas on what health issues could be a factor? I think she may be the one who laid a double yolk egg too. She's been laying for just over 3 weeks. We are on almost a week of laying on the poop board. I debated about putting a light on a timer in the coop to kick on at like 6ish.
I wouldn't worry.
New layers can take up to a month or so to really get things grooved in.

ETA: just looked at your pics.
The poop board has the same bedding as the nests, could be confusing.
Maybe use sand or PDZ on the poop board instead of shavings.
Or use straw in the nests instead of shavings.

It may not be a health issue at all, it may just be due to her adolescence. Laying is new to her and she may just need time to learn. Not all chickens have the perfect instinct to lay in a nest right away. Some have to be taught or just be given time for instincts to kick in. Some never desire to lay in a nesting box ever. Some just drop them as they're walking or eating. When my gals first started laying, i found myself picking up eggs out of the yard every once in a while.

I wouldn't worry.
New layers can take up to a month or so to really get things grooved in.

ETA: just looked at your pics.
The poop board has the same bedding as the nests, could be confusing.
Maybe use sand or PDZ on the poop board instead of shavings.
Or use straw in the nests instead of shavings.
I agree. I think this is the post where i previously recommended making the nesting boxes more "natural" and desirable. If it wasn't this post, i recommend it here too then. Use things they may tend to create nests with "naturally." When i was getting my girls ready to lay, i used hay as the main nesting material, then added a good soft layer of grass clippings (i cut fresh with scissors, not mowed clippings). Once the grass became dull and dry, i replaced it with more. I also added a wooden egg in each nesting box. They took right up to it and have used the nesting boxes since day one. Like i said, every once in a while i would find a dropped egg in the yard, but those were very short lived. Now they have enclosed nesting boxes rather than these open concept boxes, but i think they preferred these original ones better. So did I, lol.

Attachments

• 20200806_174844.jpg
    20200806_174844.jpg
    818.8 KB · Views: 8
I agree. I think this is the post where i previously recommended making the nesting boxes more "natural" and desirable. If it wasn't this post, i recommend it here too then. Use things they may tend to create nests with "naturally." When i was getting my girls ready to lay, i used hay as the main nesting material, then added a good soft layer of grass clippings (i cut fresh with scissors, not mowed clippings). Once the grass became dull and dry, i replaced it with more. I also added a wooden egg in each nesting box. They took right up to it and have used the nesting boxes since day one. Like i said, every once in a while i would find a dropped egg in the yard, but those were very short lived. Now they have enclosed nesting boxes rather than these open concept boxes, but i think they preferred these original ones better. So did I, lol.
The poop boards are now 90% pdz.
We can't use hay in the nest boxes as it molds too quickly here in Florida. I have pine, on top of no slip shelf liners and nesting herbs in the boxes.

The poop boards are now 90% pdz.
We can't use hay in the nest boxes as it molds too quickly here in Florida. I have pine, on top of no slip shelf liners and nesting herbs in the boxes.
Good that you changed the poop bard 'bedding'.
What are 'nesting herbs'?
Might be too aromatic for the birds with their sensitive respiratory systems.

Back
Top Bottom