Not laying in nesting box anymore

buckrut

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
New Kent County, Va.
Have have 9 laying ladies for quite a few months now but one of them (don't know who) seems to be laying hers in the coop all of a sudden. I have a pretty good size coop with 4 nesting boxes for the 9 we have ( I plan to get more eventually) so it isn't that there isn't enough room. Any thoughts?

You only need one box per 5 hens (actually in my experience you can get by with one per 8 hens until you have them go broody).

I would make sure that you have golf balls or fake eggs in the nests to encourage laying in there. Also that the nest box area is darkened. Some put up little curtains or use a box with a lip for privacy.

Also, make sure there aren't bugs in the boxes like mites/lice that would make them not want to go in.

And finally, make sure no one is being bullied and is scared to enter the boxes.

I have one or two hens who have been laying outside of the nest box as well (4 nest boxes/ 6 hens). They are on a winter laying break so we shall see if they continue. Last season, I would put something to block the corner where she laid, - like an upside down basket- but she would find another corner usually. This was my bossy hen, so she wasn't being kept out of the nest box by other hens I don't think. I put fake eggs in my nest boxes to encourage everyone to lay in there. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has more ideas to try.

Back
Top Bottom