1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

not laying in nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cjc, Jan 13, 2011.

  1. cjc

    cjc New Egg

    5
    0
    7
    Sep 27, 2009
    My girls have stopped laying in their nesting boxes. They now lay on the ground in the straw.
    What is wrong?
     
  2. swimmer

    swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

    514
    1
    129
    Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Try putting some golf balls in the nest. Is there enough straw bedding in the nest box so it's nice and soft? Dark enough?
     
  3. mgw

    mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I agree with swimmer, fresh bedding and put the decoy egg back in.
     
  4. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

    MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

    875
    0
    119
    Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    I have plastic easter eggs that i keep in the nesting boxes (we use cat carriers found at the thrift store) but the girls keep throwing them out. And we keep putting hay in the nesting boxes but again, they keep kicking it all out. About 70% of the time they lay in the boxes, and the other 30% on the ground. In the last 4-5 months, tho, only one egg got trampled.

    They'll get the hang of it.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by