Not laying. What are your experiences with buff orps?

Do buff orps slow down on laying in year two?

• Yes. They slow way down

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No not at all

• They decrease slowly

• Total voters

Mountain Peeps

Jesus is my life
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all!

I have two 2 year old buff orp hens. They have quit laying. One of them has just finished molting for the 4th time this year. In your experiences, do buff orps slow way down on their second year?

Four molts in one year? That would seem to be an indication of a larger problem. And I wouldn't expect eggs out that bird if she's molting so often. If the other one came from the same source, I would consider the possibility that you got some poor stock.

Do they have Granite Grit, Oyster Shells, is the light on so they have 15-16 hours of light... and to stop the molt, add more protein to their diet...
They have grit and eggshells. They get about 12 hours of light a day so that might be it. Also, would dirty water have something to do with it? They water gets some muddy stuff in it occasionally.

They have grit and eggshells. They get about 12 hours of light a day so that might be it. Also, would dirty water have something to do with it? They water gets some muddy stuff in it occasionally.

Only give them water you would drink.... and up the light to 15 ish. hours/ day... My light timer is set to 9 hours after legal sunset.... viewed on a chart... Sunset, 7:30.... lights on at 4:30 AM... and off at 10 AM... It is best to let natural dimming sunset occur..

Last edited:
Got my first egg.... Lights were installed 16 day ago... 15-16 hours of "daylight" in the coop and run... That's not "pure proof" the lighting using "daylight" bulbs is the cause, but..... worked for me....

Back
Top Bottom