Not laying yet even though it's spring??

duckcreekfarm

Hatching
Mar 31, 2015
My chickens are about a year old. I have three coops/runs - one with welsummers, one with buffs, and one with sex links. Four in each coop, and the coop/runs are quite large, could put probably eight more birds in each area.

They all started laying last year in August and then stopped for the winter. I did not provide supplemental light.

They are STILL not laying this spring. I feel like they really should be! They are eating 16% layer mash, lots of kitchen scraps, and occasionally boiled mashed egg. Not a single egg!!

What is going on? What should I check for??

That sounds really weird they should have started laying again by now.
And you are feeding them good food.
Have your hens been spooked by anything lately like a predator?
To encourage them to lay I would order the ceramic fake eggs. They work great and actually look like a real egg
Here is a link to where you can buy some
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/ceramic_nest_eggs.html

I bought 1 dozen and they have lasted almost 2 years.
But I would mark them with something so you can identify them.
The way I identify them is by gently touching them together with a spare fake egg it makes a certain sound.

Hope this helps Good Luck

BCP

Could be the layer mash and lots of scraps(if mostly not meat) have them short on protein?
Birds who are not laying shouldn't be eating layer feed......too much calcium can be bad for them.

Mine are not laying either. Production went up briefly when the days started to get longer, but then fell off. of the 10 hens I have I am only getting maybe 1 egg a day - sometimes zero. I would love to know why!

Back
Top Bottom