Not laying?

R3M1X

Chirping
May 14, 2019
Norlina, NC
I have 5 laying hens and 1 laying duck, as well has pullets and cockerels ranging in age from almost 6 months to 3 weeks old. For the past week or so, 2 of my laying hens have stopped producing eggs even though they are only a year old. I pick up the eggs daily to discourage them going broody, but I am sure it is still possible. I havent seen them laying in the nest like when my duck went broody. Could they not be laying due to going broody or could heat be an issue? It has been in the low to mid 90's here recently. They were not laying during the heat of summer last year so I do not know if that is the cause or not, but I cannot rule anything out. Since all the hens and even the duck lay their eggs in the same nest I cannot tell which hens are laying and which are not. I have fans in the coop area and shade to escape the heat and provide fresh water daily. Along with dust bath areas in the shade and in partial sun for those who like to sunbath.
Are these hens trying to go broody or is it the heat?

I have 5 laying hens and 1 laying duck, as well has pullets and cockerels ranging in age from almost 6 months to 3 weeks old. For the past week or so, 2 of my laying hens have stopped producing eggs even though they are only a year old. I pick up the eggs daily to discourage them going broody, but I am sure it is still possible. I havent seen them laying in the nest like when my duck went broody. Could they not be laying due to going broody or could heat be an issue? It has been in the low to mid 90's here recently. They were not laying during the heat of summer last year so I do not know if that is the cause or not, but I cannot rule anything out. Since all the hens and even the duck lay their eggs in the same nest I cannot tell which hens are laying and which are not. I have fans in the coop area and shade to escape the heat and provide fresh water daily. Along with dust bath areas in the shade and in partial sun for those who like to sunbath.
Are these hens trying to go broody or is it the heat?
I would guess it's the heat. Stress of any kind will put them off.
Try offering water with electrolytes in it once or twice a week along with fresh water at all times.
I also freeze a large piece of ice using a plastic cereal container. I place the ice block in a shallow pan and allow it to slowly melt. The chickens sip the cold water and walk in it and that cools them off.
Cutting fruit into small pieces, freezing it and feeding that helps too.

Hi. I am experiencing the same thing with my three orpingtons. One went Broody and I did not have the time to stop it after she kept going broody after each time i tried to break it. She convinced another to go broody (which I did not realize could happen). That was at the end of June in NH. Then July came and none of them are broody now but I have not got a single egg in over a week. Basically, i have a flock of three hens that do nothing except squawk in the AM and tear apart my wildflower garden if I don't watch them. I've started looking at their necks and wondering.... sorry, joking kind of. I am guessing it is the heat because they have everything else they could need.

Broody hens don't lay...and may not lay for weeks after they are no longer broody.
If you free range they may be laying elsewhere, when they are not tearing up your gardens.
Time for an exam.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then maybe....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Hi. I am experiencing the same thing with my three orpingtons. One went Broody and I did not have the time to stop it after she kept going broody after each time i tried to break it. She convinced another to go broody (which I did not realize could happen). That was at the end of June in NH. Then July came and none of them are broody now but I have not got a single egg in over a week. Basically, i have a flock of three hens that do nothing except squawk in the AM and tear apart my wildflower garden if I don't watch them. I've started looking at their necks and wondering.... sorry, joking kind of. I am guessing it is the heat because they have everything else they could need.
It must be the heat. It's been over 95 every day here and only two out of eight are laying right now.

It must be the heat. It's been over 95 every day here and only two out of eight are laying right now.
I think it is the heat for my chickens since they have started laying again now that the weather has been low 90s and in the 80s these past couple weeks and it's been rainy as well. My duck was broody and would take the chicken eggs out of their nest and move them to hers and try to incubate them, but after a couple days of taking them and messing up her nest she hasnt done it again. So I am waiting for her to start laying again.

Back
Top Bottom