Not laying

Feb 5, 2019
Hens haven’t laid in close to 2 months. 4 of them are a year and a half old and the other 2 are a year old. I’m assuming it’s normal due to it being winter time? I would never use artificial light to force them to lay.....just making sure everything is ok and normal behavior since they laid last winter as they were young

Hens haven’t laid in close to 2 months. 4 of them are a year and a half old and the other 2 are a year old. I’m assuming it’s normal due to it being winter time? I would never use artificial light to force them to lay.....just making sure everything is ok and normal behavior since they laid last winter as they were young
Don't worry. Hopefully it's just the winter and you'll have a full egg basket this spring.

Chickens often lay thru their first winter.
Second fall/winter they will stop laying and molt.
Once the days get longer they should start laying again.

Chickens often lay thru their first winter.
Second fall/winter they will stop laying and molt.
Once the days get longer they should start laying again.
Watching this thread, because I am going through the EXACT same thing. Your response was so helpful. My chickens were prolific layers until their molt at about 16 months old (this past fall). Now, we get 2 or three eggs a week total from our 6 hens since about November. This was tough, because we were getting 28 to 35 eggs from this little flock prior to their bout with foul pox in September and since their molt immediately after. We have since integrated a group of 13 new pullets (juveniles), so we are hoping for LOADS of eggs when the days get longer.

Back
Top Bottom