not looking no more my fam is complete

bipebbles

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 18, 2008
Springfield, MAssachusetts
hi i live in springfield ma and dont know where to buy chickens or hens i grew up with them and so did my husband we already have a chicken coop built and food we are ready to raise our own but liv ing in springfield makes it hared to find where i can get them Please help me i just want for their eggs and as pets thanks

Last edited:
I'm sure you don't want to drive all the way to Cape Cod but there are a few people trying to get rid of chickens. Actually tonight I am picking up one buff orpington. They aren't laying yet and the guy said he has a few varieties. They are $5 each. Also a saw a posting on craig's list about 2 weeks ago with someone in Wellfleet who had a lot of sex-linked that were laying. He gave me his number if you want to give him a call.

Usually there are chicks at Agway distrib in Hatfield - half hour north from you. Tha's in spring but still worth a trip right now - If you go to the feed stores - Easthampton Feed, Greefield Farmers' Exchange, Amherst Farmers Supply, and Hatfield Feed, you usually can find offers on the bulletin boards. Also if you want started pulets Murray McMurray is selling Red Stars and Black Stars - crazy layers - right now at 17 weeks, almost point of lay. With shipping, might be expensive - I've never ordered grown birds, but people do it all the time and then you'd be done and getting those eggs right away.

Last, the farm section of Western Mass Craig's List is pretty decent. You could try Northern CT/Hartford area CL too. Don't know much about feed stores etc as I'm a ways north, but somebody on CL down there would know. . .

Yay for chickens in Spfld!

best of luck!

If you feel like shooting up to central Vermont I have some very nice one year old black giant hens and cockerels to get you started, have some 3/4 giant hens too which are very tame. They are all good layers and still laying now. It is an easy one day trip for you and you would have a producing flock right away.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom