not much difference between layers and all purpose

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ScoobyRoo, Mar 22, 2009.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I was checking out the Orschelns feed and noticed that there was not much difference between the all purpose poultry feed and layers. I have 5 wk olds mixed in with my layers (they all free range all day too) I have been mixing the two feeds so that they all get what they need. I also noticed the chicks eating the oyster shells. Isn't that bad for them? Is this okay? Will be checking with the coop tomorrow ( for one feed for all ages and duckies) and buying from them maybe since Orschelns no longer have the reward program.

2. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    I read somewhere that layer feed is not good for chicks because the high calcium content can damage their kidneys. I'm not sure if the chicks are safe at the 5 week mark. Maybe someone with some more experience can comment. I would be cautious about the oyster shell as well until you get a firm answer on the calcium question.

3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I put the oyster shells in the coop (out of reach of the llittle ones) for the layers. I also remember reading about the 'too much' calcium for the little chickies. I just want to find an all purpose feed for the little duckies (2wks), chicks (5 wks) and my pullets. My co-op in town only carries medicated chick grower, medicated game feed and layers. Back to Orschelns again. What did they do back in the 'olden days'?? [​IMG] Just feed them scratch??
    Thanks for replying SoJo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by