Not my night...argh!!

Agilityscots

Songster
12 Years
Jun 9, 2007
Central Ohio
Well, these past few days have been a little nuts, between chimney swifts and family drama with my sick niece. Tonight I go out to my coop to get the canvas chair that sits up against the side, and I notice as soon as I go outside that it's fallen over. Last night it stayed standing through a violent storm. I peek in the window, and no chickens. I call them and don't hear a thing, except for my heart beating loudly. They're not on the floor and they're not on the roost. I open the back door as fast as I can, and that's when I realize they're all under the nest box, which is only 6-8" off the floor with the pine shavings. None of them will come out, not even Ruby, my puppy-like chick. I tried coaxing them and telling them it was okay, that they were safe (I know, I'm dumb, talking to chickens like this) but they were panicked. They were making their little tiny alarm calls. My poor girls! ACK!

Amy

Gosh, yes! I've never seen them act like that before, not once. I felt awful for them. I wanted to pick each one of them up and give them a hug, but they wouldn't come out.
hit.gif

Amy

Aww Amy.....im sorry...sounds like they were scared. Possibly when the chair fell...it scared them. Maybe one of them was trying to get ON the chair, and it fell. Hope they come out soon...poor things. Its hard to let them know, they are ok now, momma is here. And...its not silly at all to talk to them like that...I do, every day!

When mine were young and something scared them I would sit down on the floor/ground with them and talk to them while giving treats. They would slowly get over being scared and come and eat. Then as they grew older they would trust me more and come out when I told them it was ok.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom