not off to a good start

eggsfordinner

Hatching
6 Years
May 10, 2013
Hello. I'm new to the forum and really need some advice and encouragement. I ordered my chicks back in January and while I waited for them, I read up and did everything I could to get ready for them. I wasn't ready though for everything to start off so badly. My chicks (5 of them) shipped Monday with an expected delivery date of earlyTuesday. And then they were lost. No one at USPS could tell me where they were. Finally Thursday they arrived. 3 died in the box and I have another that I am surprised is still alive. I'm sure by morning, she'll be gone. That leaves just one feisty little easter egger. She's been pecking like crazy at the sick one but gets upset when I seperate them. I finally worked it that she can see the other but can't reach her and that seems to help. The whole experience has been nightmare.

I'm still trying to work out replacements but this late, there isn't much available, which is why I made sure to order early. Please tell me that my experience is an unusual one and thst the first time around is usually much better. A mama hen couldn't be more of a mess than I am right now.

First I am so sorry that things have started on such a sad note. Do you have a feed store or local breeder that you can purchase some additional chicks? I think you will need a couple more in order to have a happy and healthy flock. I have seen local breeders advertising on Craig's List and another idea is to check with your state thread on BYC and ask if anyone has chicks available.

It sounds like you are doing what you can to help the surviving chicks.

Once again, I am so sorry to hear about your chicks. ((HUGS))

Oh IM so sorry what a horrid way to start the chicken game,
Have you tried looking at local feed stores, TSC, craigslist for hens and chicks? If you were close to me I have two I would be willing to let you have!

Thanks everyone for the support and suggestions. I just lost the little one so the easter egger is all alone and its breaking my heart hearing her sad, lonely chirps. She is not a happy baby. Hopefully I can find her some sisters tomorrow. Being in the suburbs of Indy, we don't have much options in feed stores other than Tractor Supply and they stopped selling chicks a month ago. I do have some other places to check. *fingers crossed*

How terrible, I am new to the chicken world myself, I have had two die after reaching 6 weeks old . It's rough having one die.
I agree with the other post. Check out your local feed store , the store's here in my area always know who has chicks for sale.
I wish you all the luck in the world with you new flock.

So sorry to hear your story! I just got mine shipped this past Monday too and 3 out 5 passed away... we have two chicks left. My husband and I are going to the local feed store to get a couple more this weekend so we have a small flock. Introducing them young would be much easier than later. Good luck with everything!

Well, my one little girl is feisty and doing well and I found a place to get some new sisters for her. I hope to get there this weekend. I can tell that she intends to be the top of the pecking order no matter what the rest are like and it's no surprise to me that she survived when the others didn't. I decided to go with a refund from the place I had got them from so I don't have a chance of a repeat experience. The plus side of having just one is that I think she is bonding with me more than she would otherwise. She already likes to perch on my fingers and loves when I stroke her back and breast.

Thanks again for everyone's support. I'm so glad BackYard Chickens exists. I'm learning so much reading through the forum.

Back
Top Bottom