Not really a story. More of a question.

SterlingAcres

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Poconos, PA
I rehomed several dominant roosters earlier this week. The last one to be rehomed goes on Sunday.

That leaves me with 2 very shy guys. One BO and one EE. Will they come around to trying to mate the hens again? They seem lost without the main rooster. It's only been a few days, but I'd think they'd be happy and all over the hens by now. The BO seems to be asking permission to mount and the ladies are snuffing him and walking away. At least the EE is still a ladies man and sleeps with his specific 3 hens even though they aren't separated yet, like he knows who is his...

Thoughts?

Unless the hens decide it's time to take over and be in charge (which happened in my flock, as our banty roos weren't strong enough to escape the clutches of our big 'Lorpie mix hen, Roxy), they'll figure it out. Just a bit of shock and confusion. Don't worry. Just keep an eye out for a few days...

Hey Sterling!
I sent my alpha rooster to a new home last week. He wasn't doing anything wrong, I just wanted to get down to one roo for breeding reasons.
Before the alpha Zeus left, Thor was very very submissive to him. I think it took Thor about two days to finally realize that Zeus was really gone and wouldn't be coming after him if he tried to mate a hen. Thor took over the other rooster duties - feeding the hens, coming to their aid when they hollered, and singing the egg song with them - right away. He didn't try mating all that much the first day or two and he's still trying to figure it out. He's been hampered by the fact that the hens were all Zeus' and it's taken them a week to start accepting Thor as the new alpha and cooperate with his mating attempts.
Hope that helps!
Bright Blessings, Kat

Thanks very much!!
big_smile.png
I hope Chief gets it soon. LOL He wasn't 2nd in command. He was probably closer to 4th or 5th. He's a sweetie pie.

Back
Top Bottom