Not so bright Chickens??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kiwi Chicky, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Kiwi Chicky

Kiwi Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Te Awamutu, NZ
    I got two Aruacana hens and an Aruacana rooster about 2 weeks ago now.

They seem to be a little slow? Definatley not like any other chickens we've ever had.

They sleep ontop of the coop even in the rain and even though they have free range during the day, they stay in one corner of the yard. They don't forage and they don't scratch around.

I've tried putting them on the perches at night, but they don';t seem to get the idea.

Do I have some thick chickens?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Perhaps their previous living conditions were very confining, restrictive and they dont know what to do. They need to be taught how to do things. You can physically put them up at night in their house and lock them in it til the next morning...do that for 3 or 4 evenings in a row, they'll get the hang of it. I agree that it's unusal not to forage,especially after 2 weeks. Perhaps you can get them moving around by enticing them with treats. Good luck.

3. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

They may be shock from the transfer. They need to acclimate to their new environment. Can you lock them in for a few days? That way they should go to roost naturally. Also, throw scratch around for them to pick up. That should get them started on foraging. Good luck! [​IMG]

4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Chickens arnt known for thier intelligence, but these ones seem worse off than most. probably result of previous living situation. Just give them some time & be patiant, I am sure they will come around soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by