Not spraddle leg, but what else can it be?

kitkatnoah

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 26, 2010
Houston, Texas
I had six chicks hatch on Wednesday, all are thriving in their brooder, except I noticed that one chick scoots on it's belly. It's legs are underneath as if it's resting, it can move them, but it doesn't walk, it just scoots as it flaps its wings. I noticed that it's off balance and the joints at the knee are swollen and partially scabbed over. I put it close to the food and water, but it has no interest in them, the other five chicks are all eating and drinking just fine. This chick is strong and loud, it's belly is somewhat swollen, so I'm not real worried about it not eating or drinking just yet, but I am worried about the legs. I have been searching to see what this could be but have given up and decided to post to see if someone knows what is wrong with this chick.

Thank you!

How old is the little guy? Did any complications happen while hatching? I had a similar story with my chick, he had a swollen belly, after about 3 days it started to walk fine. Though my guy had problems while hatching. Could I have some picture of his legs and his belly, just to be sure? Thanks :)

Hi

Im just trying to research the same problem with a chick. did it work out for the chick, are chicks with this problem able to walk on their leg eventually. Mine is not putting any weight on that leg so strugelling to move, its 4 days old and I think has had its first food today when I force fed it. Its isolated at the moment, is there anything I can do for it to assist healing?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom