Not sure about what to do with my Roo. Would love some advice!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by grassfedeggs, Sep 14, 2010.

1. grassfedeggs

grassfedeggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    We have a six month old Golden Comet Rooster and 13 Bard Rock pullets ( 12 weeks old) who have been living together peacefully and happily all summer. The rooster has recently shown his ugly side and attacked our 3 year old son. Since then I have kept him locked in the run all day while the BRs continue to free-range. I let him out a couple of hours before dusk ( when we are inside for the night), he free-ranges with the girls and then they all go in their coop together for the night. My question is, can this possibly be a long term solution? I feel very guilty about locking him up. Maybe he would be better off in another home? I have tried with no luck to re-home him, and I don't want to kill him. We do have three other chickens in a separate coop two hens and a sweet BR rooster, the 13 BR pullets hang out with them most of the day.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Why not just keep doing what you're doing? This is a problem with ALOT of roosters. And they think they are protecting their flock--doing what nature tells them to do.

Still, you've gotta protect those little ones! If you feel comfortable with the current situation, I'd continue. But if you think he should go, try advertising him on Craigslist. That's free, and maybe you could find a home for him that way.

Good luck![​IMG]

3. grassfedeggs

Aug 31, 2010
    Thanks for the reply:) I would love to keep doing what I have been doing, I just wasn't sure if it was ok to leave him locked up alone all day. He sees all of the other chickens running around and it seems unfair. I did post him on Craigslist with no luck. He's one of my favorites, I would rather that he didn't become someone's dinner.

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I would NEVER have an aggressive roo around small children even if he is confined to a run. It only takes one time for him to attack a child to do serious harm, especially once his spurs grow in.

My advice...send him to freezer camp or re-home him asap.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:X2

6. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Quote:If you can continue to do as you stated & keep your child safe then do it, what it really comes down to is what you feel confortable doing.

7. grassfedeggs

Aug 31, 2010
    I appreciate all of the comments, I'm still fairly new to raising chickens so I am constantly re-evaluating things. Lbrad7 you are right, there is always a chance of the roo getting out or my son going outside unsupervised. I guess it's goodbye to the roo. It's amazing to me how fast a rooster can change temperament. He used to love being held and would follow us around the yard. Is it hormonal???

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He's maturing and his hormones are raging. Sadly enough it is frequently the roosters that have been most socialized that become aggressive. The barriers between them and us have been removed, and we are viewed as being on the same level. Sometimes an attitude adjustment will correct the behavior, but such a rooster could never be trusted around small children. The potential for serious damage is too real. A rooster's toenails and spurs can cause serious damage.

9. grassfedeggs

Aug 31, 2010
    That is very interesting. I don't think that I am cut out for keeping a rooster. That's alright, I love my girls. Thanks for all of the advice!

10. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by