Not sure how to title this.

Here’s an update. It’s an owl (not sure what kind) I saw it last night messing around that pen and he got 2 of my quail. I’m moving the quail in a different pen tomorrow and hopefully he’ll go away.
If it's an owl then get a fake owl because I've seen some videos where they said that deters other owls I've seen them at Lowes for $10 but I don't know much so maybe someone else has more info that they could give you, Good Luck!!

Here’s an update. It’s an owl (not sure what kind) I saw it last night messing around that pen and he got 2 of my quail. I’m moving the quail in a different pen tomorrow and hopefully he’ll go away.
question did it get in their run or inside their coop? or did it try to get in but because there a run there so it couldn't get through it and the noise would scare your chickens

question did it get in their run or inside their coop? or did it try to get in but because there a run there so it couldn't get through it and the noise would scare your chickens
The quail coop is right outside of the pen that’s been going nuts. The owl somehow pulled two hens by the neck and ate part of their necks through the wire. They’re being moved into a safer pen asap tomorrow.

Here’s a photo I took of it sitting on a power line.
F42BD08A-D83E-4A0E-A1CA-BB91A7DAF40B.jpeg

It's not likely to leave since it knows the quail are there. I had a problem with an owl. It killed some birds. I have my pens all covered with netting. Most of the pens were covered with good heavy duty netting but I ran short and bought some netting online that wasn't what I thought it was but I put it up anyway over a couple of pens. I thought the netting would deter any aerial predator. Wrong. The owl went through the netting and killed a bird. I replaced it with another piece of the crappy netting because that is all I had. The owl went through it again and killed another bird. I moved the birds to another coop and pen and put up another piece of the crappy netting and put up a camera. The owl went through the the netting again. I bought some good heavy duty netting and put it up. The owl tried to go through the netting again but this time got caught in it. We managed to get it into a cage and called a wildlife rescue and they came and got it. The said they had a release area where it shouldn't come back. I have seen more owls since but none have breached the netting. It is illegal to kill a bird of prey with out a special permit. Good luck...
The owl going through the netting.
DSCF00031125 02.jpg
DSCF00031125 10.jpg
IMG_20200229_133056.jpg

This is the netting I replaced the crappy netting with.
IMG_20191221_101158.jpg

Tips on how to get rid of owls
  1. Don't attract other birds. Remove feeders from the yard. ...
  2. Make noise. Try noisemakers, alarms, horns, or whistles. ...
  3. Try a bright light. Shine it on the owl at night. ...
Since owls are territorial, the presence of a decoy will deter other owls from trying to claim the area. Make sure the fake owl or hawk isn't visible to your chickens, though. If they see it, they may get nervous, and that instability could make your rooster aggressive. I would recommend getting a fake owl that rotates its head those ones are at HomeDepot for $25 you would also want to move it around so that it looks like it's real.

Back
Top Bottom