Not sure if eggs are being eaten

ellent

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 2, 2010
Columbia, MO
I have occasionally found the remains of eggs with soft, abnormal shells that have been eaten, which doesn't worry me. But recently I have been getting fewer eggs than I expect, and I am starting to wonder if some are being eaten. I don't find any evidence, like leftover shell or sticky mess, and there is usually at least one intact egg (I have 5 hens). Is it possible that one hen is intentionally targeting the eggs of others? Perhaps rolling them out of the nest box, and eating the cracked eggs on the ground? Or would I find some evidence if eggs were being eaten? I haven't caught anyone in the act.

I would think as thorough as you've been, you'd be seeing at least some sign of eggs being eaten. A residue, a piece of shell, something.

How old are your hens? How long has the lull been going on? Is there any chance they might be unwell? You are correct not to worry about abnormal eggs being eaten, as even healthy, normal hens will happily dispose of flawed eggs without turning to egg eating, but that doesn't mean there's not some other underlying cause to the absence of eggs.

You may also want to check for signs of mice or rats. I've heard they can be a problem with missing eggs as well.

Back
Top Bottom