Not sure if I should clean eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nica99, Nov 23, 2010.

1. nica99

nica99 New Egg

Nov 23, 2010
    This is my first year raising chickens and Ive read NOT to wash the eggs but they smell funny, like they are dirty or "poopy" but they are not. Ive tried to research why they may smell like that but have not found anything. I really dont like giving our eggs to people when they smell so stinky. Any ideas???

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

I don't wash the eggs, the ones I keep for our use or the ones I sell. I haven't ever noticed an unpleasant smell.

What are you using in your nestboxes to line them?

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    They say not to clean the eggs because it removes the bloom. However, if you are to clean the eggs, you should use water that's at least 20 degrees warmer than the egg because then things are less likely to permeate the membrane.

Now, being vain, and loving my colorful eggs, I don't like them to look all dirty.

So, if an egg is dirty, I wash it in plain water that is bathwater temperature. I do a quick rinse til clean. Afterwards I refrigerate it.

I'm happy because I have beautiful eggs that don't look or smell yucky.

So, this may not be the "right" thing to do, but it's what I do. So far, our eggs have tasted fine, and I'm proud to give them away to loved ones.

I figure none of our eggs last longer than a week to ten days, so I'm not overly worried about amazing longevity in my eggs.

4. mistyfeather

mistyfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    colorado
    [​IMG] um ....they come out of a chicken butt [​IMG] just keep the nesting material clean and dry ,it shouldn't be a problem, I wash soiled eggs in warm water and refrigerate

5. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I've never noticed a smell either, even on the "dirty" eggs. Are yours getting stuff on them?

6. nica99

nica99 New Egg

Nov 23, 2010
    Thank you all so much for your help, in our coop as well as the nesting boxes we use straw for bedding. Honestly I was thinking it may be that they were needing something else food wise to fix this problem at the moment they are eating scratch and Layena crumble but the eggs taste great its just the smell that is buggin me. I appreciate all the feedback!! thanks

7. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

I use hay for bedding and pine shavings for the coop floor. I have recently tracked a "chemical" smell in the kitchen to my eggs.

I have been trying to preserve the bloom and not refrigerate my eggs, but I am planning to switch to egg washing due to the smell .

8. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    It's better to not remove the bloom, however, if there is a big ole streak of poop I have been known to wash it off. Don't know about a smell coming from mine, I've never noticed and if I go sniffing the eggs on my counter my DH may start to wonder about me. [​IMG]

9. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:Is it the smell of the egg? Or the shell?
    I wash my eggs that are dirty... I only have 15 or 16 birds, so the eggs go quick anyway.... Smell? Even the covered in poo eggs don't smell... Maybe I am immune now. [​IMG]

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I guess I don't understand: Is the smell coming when you crack them open, cook them or just smell the intact egg? If it one or the other of the first two, it may be something your chickens are eating or drinking. Are they free ranging? Do you have sulfur water? The third may mean the nesting material may not be clean--I use oat straw and have never had a problem. When you wash them, does the smell go away?

Or else maybe you just aren't used to the smell of a fresh egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by