Not sure if I should, what would you do?

I would worry that he won't be able to hold up his end of any agreement you entered into, and you would end up frustrated for expecting more from him than one could reasonably expect.

I think you'd be happier in the long run buying yourself another bird or two (you know you want to anyways, he-he), and giving him extra eggs as you are able, and chalking it up to charity. This might be a chance to do a good deed, but if you expect anything in return, you will likely get burned. And if you ask for nothing, and he finds some way to help you out, you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Good luck!

SuburbanFarmstress, I love the way you think!!!
& Ranchhand, nope, different initials!

Gotta go out & check on the girls, they are actually out in the snow! I couldn't bear the thought of keeping them cooped up for 2 days straight while we get dumped on yet again w/ 20 inches of snow!
Thanks for all your input!

Oh for goodness sakes get some more hens and give him a couple dozen eggs at a time and then tell him that you'll give him a few more in a few more weeks. It may turn out well. It may not. But don't let the fear of "what if, or what might" destroy your charitable impulses. If it would make him happy let him name one of them. Sounds like he has had a tough time. If you can though, I do think helping him build a small coop for 3-4 hens is the best idea, as long as you are prepared to take them in if he can't handle them. I know that having my chickens around helps to keep me sane and happy. Maybe it would help him too.

To the OP: just be careful. Heavy drug users are typically users of people, too. If you don't know where your boundaries are, if you don't set them ahead of time and hold the line consistently, I expect he will work it until you end up in a place where you are not comfortable.

Good Luck. It is a tough decision. I, like you would be agonizing on what to do. It is truly up to you. My advice to you is: don't do more than what you feel comfortable with. Charity is important, but so is preservation of your sanity.

And what was said is right, drug users tend to use people so beware. But then again, a couple of eggs shouldn't break the bank right?

Although you are compassionate, your actually hindering your friend in that you are saying to him, you can't possibly take care of yourself nor chickens for that matter, so I, the better person, will do it for you!

The word is Enabling. He needs to keep working on getting his life back together and not depending on someone else to 'help him out'. He's a big boy, if he wants chickens down the line, let him work towards that goal. Don't take that away from him. Plus, if you move forward with this, you are setting yourself up with a relationship with him on a somewhat weekly basis. And, of course, you'll be doing all the work!
Fresh water, feed, etc. Don't let him make you feel guilty. Give him the respect he deserves by not doing it for him.

What about helping him build a chicken tractor for himself. You could work out some kind of deal with him letting him know that this is the way it will be - He has to take ownership of his life and go forward. A friend is a friend, and you have to be content and know you have done your part no matter what the other person does. If you help him build this tractor, give him enough feed to last a few weeks and a chicken - then tell him that he must do the rest himself . Put on his big boy panties and get on with it. If he is clean and really trying this should let him know that you are there for him, but won't do it for him!. Good luck - let God guide you!

Back
Top Bottom