Not sure if this is the place, but anyone looking for a great dog?

4H kids and mom

Cooped Up
12 Years
Mar 10, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
About a month ago a friend who had left us to watch their dog decided they didnt want "IT" back, and now I'm stuck tryin to find her a home. She was very thin and food aggressive and broken spirited when she came here. Now she chases balls and frisbees, put some good weight on, and lets anyone touch her anywhere without flinching. She's great with kids and other dogs too and even adores my chickies! She tries to nurse them! lol And will let them crawl on her. Anywho, she's a German Shepherd female, not spayed, of about 6-8 months old. She is well trained (knows sit, down, off, come, stay, over, paw, and others) and fully house broken. She loves to play now, and is a great watch dog. You can let her out the door to do her business and she comes right back (doesnt run off. Doesnt need to be fenced or chained). She is VERY LOYAL and stays by my side at all times. Even sleeps behind my head on my extra pillow! We aren't asking alot for her, just that she goes to the best home possible. I dont believe, however, in giving away a dog because I have always felt that if you cant afford to pay a little now for them you shouldnt have them, but thats just me. With her, I'd be willing to take any reasonable offer as long as I knew she was going to a loving home. Please, if anyone here knows someone that would love a great dog, please contact me. I might even be willing to drive a distance for the right home for her. I live in Southern Wisconsin, close to the Illinois border. Thank you.

Sounds like a great dog. It is a wonder why anyone would just not want her. A little time and training has turned this dog into a great dog. I hope you find a home for her soon. She sounds like she would be a great protection dog for chickens. Anyway keep us updated ok Mary

does your 4-H club have a dog project? Or maybe a 4-H club near you? My daughter does 4-H dog, and it has been great. We got a Jack Russel Terrier (or Terror for those who know the breed) adopted him when he was two years old. We got him in Feburary and joined 4-H just for the dog project. That was 4 years ago. and Rizzo is a great dog for my daughter. We have an awesome dog project leader, she has been training dogs for over 35 years and has been the leader for our club many many years. I would check into it or maybe have your own kids take this dog as a 4-H project. I have to say that I have to thank Hotwings. she is the one who told me about the 4-H dog project. Thanks again Hotwings.

Our 4H does have a dog and cat project, but the kids are already in the Poultry project, as well as my son being in photography and rocket science, and my daughter is also doing a sewing and baking project! I'm not sure if I can laiden them with another, but if the right home isnt found soon, we wont be able to part with her, dispite my husbands 'rule' of one dog per household....lol
wink.png
She is very sweet and all she needed to return her spirit was some good food and gentle loving touches. She used to flinch everytime we'd go to pet her, and run if we even raised our voices at the children (which, if you have an 9 year old and a 7 year old, you are bound to do! lol) but now she will chew on a bone or toy without hiding like shes doing something wrong, wont flinch or run when we pet her, and picked up basic commands like a sevant! Having two large dogs (along with 2 fat cats, two big parrots, 28 baby chicks, a hamster, a gerbil, and 2 smaller birds- a lovebird and a tiel -we have a regular petting zoo here! Plus, our neighbor wants us to take his three ducks and 2 kid goats when they move next month....Oi!) isnt workin out too well! I hope to find her a good home soon, before we can no longer part with her...

Last edited:
sounds like the dog has settled in at your place very well! You should keep her! German Shepherds don't adjust to multiple homes/owners as well as some other breeds - it would be hard on her to move again - please think about keeping her. Or, contact a GSD rescue who would have the contacts to help find her a new home. Sounds like a great dog. I do some GSD rescue myself, but I'm not close enough to you to help with this girl.

molly
Eichenluft Working German Shepherds
http://workinggermanshepherd.com

FREEBIE!!! Another fellow "terror" owner!! I have two. Jack Russells are the best! They are extremely smart (I want to join 4h with my female, Layla, dad and I have discussed it and he is "thinking" about it now
tongue.png
) I have already trained her to do a lot of trick and to follow a lot of commands. The male JRT, Harlan, was a rescue dog and is so extremely shy that it is hard to train him, so I have just spent most of my time with him trying to get him over his fear of people (BTW, he is doing MUCH better, so I may start training him soon, but he also was hit by a car and one of his hind legs is messed up and he limps pretty bad so I can't do as much with him as with Layla)
Why don't you join the forum at http://www.jackrussells.com/ ? I am a member there, under the username Laylapup, (I registered for that account before we got Harlan, or else I would have included him in the name as well LOL) We hope to see you over there!
Blah blah blah LOL
4h kids and mom- I really wish we were close enough to take her. German Shepherds are one of my favorite "big dogs" and I guess you can tell from the first paragraph what my favorite little dog breed is LOL. I hope you can find a great home for that poor dog
sad.png
She sounds like a great dog deserving of a good home.

Last edited:
Sounds like she's a great dog!

We already have two, which is really one more than my husband wanted LOL. It's amazing what some time and energy can do for a dog, and what consistant love can do for their self-esteem.

Maybe I'm opening a can of worms here... but did your 'friend' just refuse to come back for her? Not much of a dog owner... or a friend. Ok, Ok... I'll try to play nicer with the other children!
tongue.png

Quote:
Hey there, Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I just don't check this section very often. The JRT is my daughters, and he does very well for the little terror that he is. 4-H was great for my daughter and her dog. This is her 5th year, and I could not imagine not letting her do it. And the difference in her dog is amazing.

Here is a link to her dogs 4-H page
http://www.youngexplorers.net/Dogs/rizzo.htm

Check it out, I sure hope your Dad lets you. It has been so rewarding for us. Good luck

You should keep the dog because once you have a dog that close to you it will probably become depressed somewhere else. Why do you not want to keep it?

Have you checked to see if there is a German Shephard club in your area? Maybe ask the vets in your area if they know of someone that can foster if you guys really can't afford emotionally to take on another dog. I do have a friend that has a 3 year old male GS that is the love of her life. We live in Central Illinois. I will ask her if you would like. You can email me at [email protected] if you would like to talk.

I am glad to see that my house is not the only petting zoo around. I breed Newfoundland dogs so there are 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 canary, 3 bigger fish tanks (one 65gallon fresh water tank, one 55gallon saltwater tank, one 29gallon salt water tank), 2 dwarf hamsters, my daughters 5 gallon fish tank and then the 15 chickens and soon to be home to at least 3 rabbits. Let's see did I miss anyone?

Anyway, let me know if you are still looking for a home for the GS and I'll see what I can do down here for you.

Back
Top Bottom