Not sure if this qualifies to go in the coop sticky... my project!

dlhunicorn

Human Encyclopedia
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
... photos in the last pst a bit further on in the thread...if you all think it qualifies to go in the main Coop thread here (sticky) I will post all the pics in that... see link below for my five screw summer coop "built" with expandable insulation foam and old stuff in my yard and from their winter coop I am revamping (roof):
http://backyardchickens.yuku.com/topic/11299

Last edited:
Diana, can you recommend a site that talks about using the expandable foam as a "glue?"

I can see a real value for something that is airtight, insulating, AND an adhesive. Lots of us must have access to old fence boards. Lamination . . . that's what you seem to have been up to
smile.png

I've only used the "stuff" once (it may not even be your "stuff"). It wasn't in my current home so I can't even check to see if it's held together over the years. Of course, holding together wasn't what I was interested in - filling a void between inside and outside was.

Steve

digitS' :

Diana, can you recommend a site that talks about using the expandable foam as a "glue?"

I can see a real value for something that is airtight, insulating, AND an adhesive. Lots of us must have access to old fence boards. Lamination . . . that's what you seem to have been up to
smile.png

I've only used the "stuff" once (it may not even be your "stuff"). It wasn't in my current home so I can't even check to see if it's held together over the years. Of course, holding together wasn't what I was interested in - filling a void between inside and outside was.

Steve

They use it for making props (so lots of stuff in the theater etc) ... also for making volcanoes and stuff (toy rail/train enthousiasts) and here in Maastricht during carnaval for making lightweight silly hats and parades (BIG lightweight things)

No...I dont think I have seen a specific site for this, just in passing on many of the above subjects.​

I think you are on to something, Diana.

Lamination is a wonderful technique for building strength. We could pay $100+ a gallon for epoxy and turn most anything into a strong enuf material for sheating - even manila paper. Old fence boards are stronger than paper and only a few types of foam insulation (probably something suitable for the space station
wink.png
) would be as expensive as epoxy.

Steve

Well, my can of the stuff only cost not even five dollars and is PE based (plyeurethane)
I used it to stabilize some big ole railroad tie benches I made almost seven years ago and it is still good as of this moment!

Last edited:
You can tell that this is above my construction knowledge base. It took sleeping on your idea before I realized that there's a similar product just one that isn't bonded to an exterior siding (in this instance, fence boards). Structural insulated panels are beginning to change the way we build homes.

There are also foam adhesives that are relatively new and which I knew nothing about. They are expensive, as best as I can tell.

I guess the key here is something called "closed cell" foam. I'm still uncertain about what more there would be to holding up to exterior moisture.

I'm amazed that railroad ties could be a construction component associated with foam insulation :eek:! Perhaps I'm just too limited in my thinking . . . . (Please, elderoo, don't tell us that was well said also even if true.
roll.png
)

Steve

Last edited:
Oooops too late - well said, again.

Pretty good link there from wiki. I'm about as up to date as a dial telephone in my thinking and didn't know things like SIP's existed.
You gotta tip your hat to Diana for essentially creating her own versions of such things, with materials at hand. Her inventiveness is only exceeded by her generosity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom