Not Sure if You've Got a Pullet or a Cockerel? Click here! thread 3

Pics
Because those Barred Rocks are not pure Barred Rocks. And the Cinnamon Queen has pullet coloring, but is a cockerel. Cinnamon Queens are a type of red sexlink. They don't breed true, and you can't sex chicks from a red sexlink rooster and red sexlink hen by coloring, like you can with first generation birds.
The Barred Rocks only have one copy of the barring gene. A purebred cockerel will have two copies, making their barring look 'lighter'.
Only the second 'Barred Rock' looks like a pullet. the rest are cockerels.
There is a huge difference between a breeder, and a person with some chickens, hatching chicks.

Simply wondering about sex, not breed. Not sure how where they're from has anything to do with their gender. Brand new to this site and I'm hoping not all responses are so condescending. Thank you for your input on my 'Barred Rocks'.

This is Pixie. "She" is 5 1/2 weeks old and hatched from eggs I got from ebay. I believe her to be a frizzled, blue Cochin mix. Feathered feet point to Cochin, but the top knot throws me off.

Anyway, her comb has recently turned very red and this makes me wonder if she is a she or not. She hatched at the same time as a BCM (the egg was marked) and a Rock Island chick whose egg came from the fridge at a local health food store. She seems to be the same size as these other two and feathered out at the same rate as the other two.

Any opinions as to gender? She's flighty as all get out so it was tough to get pictures of her. Thanks in advance, Jennifer.

Hello! I am a newbie here, so please be patient with me! We purchased two Buff Orpington chicks from our local farm store. We thought they were both hens, but one started crowing yesterday. So we are now questioning this assumption! I was wondering if anyone here could help us out! Thank you!

Simply wondering about sex, not breed. Not sure how where they're from has anything to do with their gender. Brand new to this site and I'm hoping not all responses are so condescending. Thank you for your input on my 'Barred Rocks'.
please relax before jumping to a defensive approach. Junebuggena was not trying to be condescending at all! The breeds used to make babies can determine the sex at a young age, hence the sex link trait. If you use a barred rock hen and a prominently back cock, you get what is called the black sex link. Rosters have xx and hens have xy. The hen will only pass on her barring gene to her male offspring (sons)and the female offspring (daughters) will have the roo's coloring (generally all black, or the coloring of that perticular breeds hens) at hatch these hybrid or mixed breeds can be sexed by this sex link. The roos will have a white spot on the back of their head and be mostly all black otherwise. The pullets will not have the spot. This also works with red roos and certain breed hens. Research sex links. These hybrid chickens will never breed true and never become a new breed. Junebuggena was just trying to help and deserves an apology. She did not mean anything towards the chickens being cross breed and in fact, often they are called hybrid chickens due to that they often are much better egg layers in terms of feed to egg ratios. Also many meat chickens are hybrid or dual purpose, as meat birds, they grow faster and are more tender costing less to feed and faster freezer stocking. Don't forget the apology!

Last edited:
BOUT 1 WEEK:
About 4 weeks

ALL THE PARENTS: BUFF ORPINGTONS, BLACK AUSTRALORP, AND BARRED PLYMOUTH ROCK HENS, BLACK COPPER MARAN COCK. THE BR HENS ARE ONLY ONES IT IS DEFINITELY POSSITIVELY SEXABLE.

[/IMG]

Last edited:
As long as we are at it, let's guess the ones in not sure about. The barred are sex link cocks. The all black and the Browns I'm not sure about. Also wondering about the two brown ones, from the bo hens?or could they have gotten the copper coloring from the bcm roster? Bcm hens are all black from what I've seen. Strange the one has a wyandotte brown streaking to it...it's my fav.#1

Last edited:
How about this one? Been strutting around and acting like a guy, but tail feathers make me think girl. 3-4ish week old splash orpington.

he/she sleeps on top of the water dispenser quite often, and tops the pecking order. Sometimes the other chicks won't even try to steal from this one.

Because those Barred Rocks are not pure Barred Rocks. And the Cinnamon Queen has pullet coloring, but is a cockerel. Cinnamon Queens are a type of red sexlink. They don't breed true, and you can't sex chicks from a red sexlink rooster and red sexlink hen by coloring, like you can with first generation birds. The Barred Rocks only have one copy of the barring gene. A purebred cockerel will have two copies, making their barring look 'lighter'. Only the second 'Barred Rock' looks like a pullet. the rest are cockerels. There is a huge difference between a breeder, and a person with some chickens, hatching chicks.
The thing is, that by knowing breed, it helps determine sex. If they aren't bred pure, it's as simple as that, here harder to sex. Everyone loves mixedbreeds, non- SOP, etc.
This is Pixie. "She" is 5 1/2 weeks old and hatched from eggs I got from ebay. I believe her to be a frizzled, blue Cochin mix. Feathered feet point to Cochin, but the top knot throws me off. Anyway, her comb has recently turned very red and this makes me wonder if she is a she or not. She hatched at the same time as a BCM (the egg was marked) and a Rock Island chick whose egg came from the fridge at a local health food store. She seems to be the same size as these other two and feathered out at the same rate as the other two. Any opinions as to gender? She's flighty as all get out so it was tough to get pictures of her. Thanks in advance, Jennifer.
I'm not sure about her, as I have 0 experience with the breed.
Hello! I am a newbie here, so please be patient with me! We purchased two Buff Orpington chicks from our local farm store. We thought they were both hens, but one started crowing yesterday. So we are now questioning this assumption! I was wondering if anyone here could help us out! Thank you!
You've got a rooster.
please relax before jumping to a defensive approach. Junebuggena was not trying to be condescending at all! The breeds used to make babies can determine the sex at a young age, hence the sex link trait. If you use a barred rock hen and a prominently back cock, you get what is called the black sex link. Rosters have xx and hens have xy. The hen will only pass on her barring gene to her male offspring (sons)and the female offspring (daughters) will have the roo's coloring (generally all black, or the coloring of that perticular breeds hens) at hatch these hybrid or mixed breeds can be sexed by this sex link. The roos will have a white spot on the back of their head and be mostly all black otherwise. The pullets will not have the spot. This also works with red roos and certain breed hens. Research sex links. These hybrid chickens will never breed true and never become a new breed. Junebuggena was just trying to help and deserves an apology. She did not mean anything towards the chickens being cross breed and in fact, often they are called hybrid chickens due to that they often are much better egg layers in terms of feed to egg ratios. Also many meat chickens are hybrid or dual purpose, as meat birds, they grow faster and are more tender costing less to feed and faster freezer stocking. Don't forget the apology!
:thumbsup
As long as we are at it, let's guess the ones in not sure about. The barred are sex link cocks. The all black and the Browns I'm not sure about. Also wondering about the two brown ones, from the bo hens?or could they have gotten the copper coloring from the bcm roster? Bcm hens are all black from what I've seen. Strange the one has a wyandotte brown streaking to it...it's my fav.#1
I think that the black ones with brown leakage are BSL pullets.
How about this one? Been strutting around and acting like a guy, but tail feathers make me think girl. 3-4ish week old splash orpington. he/she sleeps on top of the water dispenser quite often, and tops the pecking order. Sometimes the other chicks won't even try to steal from this one.
too young.

Back
Top Bottom