Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or A Cockerel? Click Here!

I bought all sex-linked chickens but 2 of them are having reddening of combs and development of wattles sooner than the others. No appreciable difference in size, behavior, or feathering...Is it possible I ended up with sex-linked cockerels, or am I being paranoid?? Around 8-9 weeks old.

You can see the difference between the two blacks in the first image, and the difference in the browns is similar.

I bought all sex-linked chickens but 2 of them are having reddening of combs and development of wattles sooner than the others. No appreciable difference in size, behavior, or feathering...Is it possible I ended up with sex-linked cockerels, or am I being paranoid?? Around 8-9 weeks old.

You can see the difference between the two blacks in the first image, and the difference in the browns is similar.
Those are pullets if they are really sex-links. Red sex-link males are white with red patches while females are the opposite and Black sex-link roosters are barred while the females are black with brown/copper streaks around their neck and chest.

Sexlinks often mature on the early side so the others are likely to catch up shortly. As long as you got hatchery bred chicks, they're all female.

Hi,

I got a white leghorn that is about 4 weeks old, can you please help me to identify the gender? It starts to develop comb already but my other chicks haven't, therefore i'm a bit concern. Thank you!!!

@saikkia There isn't a hint of pink on that comb. The only thing giving me pause is how naked it is. Some "Leghorns" are bred for wing sexing so the slowness could be a male sign. Leghorns are normally fast feathering and a four-wheek chick is typically fully covered or close to it.

Back
Top Bottom