Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

You'll need to wait for rooster feathers (or not). Hatchery SS can have really big combs and it's not too much color for 10 weeks so unless the comb was tiny and yellow a week ago, there isn't anything else to go by.

Thank you. This makes me feel better. The comb has always been pretty pink and never tiny compared to some of my other breeds that have a single comb. This is a picture from about 4 weeks back.

Thank you. This makes me feel better. The comb has always been pretty pink and never tiny compared to some of my other breeds that have a single comb. This is a picture from about 4 weeks back.
I had one like that. The only thing that made me not worry was the outrageously female body shape she had. I thought mine was an early developer but she didn't lay until 32 weeks so I have no idea why her comb was so big. Get a good side view with the head up and you may be able to tell from that.

This is our 5 1/2 week old barred rock. This is our only barred rock so I can't compare to other chicks the same age and same breed. Compared to our others this one has more comb and waddle development and seems to be top in the pecking order. Thoughts?

Last edited:
This is our 5 1/2 week old barred rock. This is our only barred rock so I can't compare to other chicks the same age and same breed. Compared to our others this one has more comb and waddle development and seems to be top in the pecking order. Thoughts?
This one looks boy-ish to me. It has the pink comb & a lot of white in the barring.

The darker chick in the 1st pic has the common female pattern. From a distance, the females look black.

Last edited:

Hi, can anyone take a guess at my two? I was told they were both pullets when I got them. The first one is about 9-10 weeks old and I was told Americauna. The second is about 6-7 weeks and was told Orpington. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom