Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Well I bought it when it was just a chick so I've raised it from a week or so old. I work at tractor supply so that's where I got it. It was suppose to be a pullet.

Unfortunately, 90% accurate also means 10% whoops. And sometimes it seems that this is an average over time and the really great, experienced sexer was sick that day so the understudy brought the average down.

Im sure someone else has tried this. I did a quick and dirty experiment at work extracting DNA from feathers then doing a PCR with generic avian sex primers. It didn't work. I got terrible DNA yields from the cut feather tips. I don't want to hurt them plucking and I don't want to try to get blood. Poop could work. I know it sounds funny but if you have the resources, why not try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know people pay to have their parrots DNA sexed but I doubt anyone bothers with chickens since most of them are obvious after a couple months.

I used swabs in the mouth on my kids for their DNA test (zygosity, di-di identical). Can't you swab a chick?

I'd appreciate any guestimates on these guys. Supposedly all pullets
1 SLW
2 EE

3 EE

4 EE

5 Dominique

6 EE
7 Dominique

Thanks!

I don't have experience with the others, but I can almost guarantee you that the Doms are both pullets. My little girls looked identical to that at that age. The two cockerels I ended up with were much lighter and had already started developing their red combs and wattles.

Alright, I'm pretty sure these two 5-week old black bantam cochins are cockerels by the combs and behavior, but I'd like one last opinion/ kick in the pants for my denial before I list them for rehoming.
fl.gif

So far they have been great... to everyone except my tiniest Sebright who is half their size with all that fluff. They make a tag team game of pulling on her neck feathers.

"Boss", my leading troublemaker.

"Wiggles", always close behind.

And, does anyone want dibs on them? ;)

Last edited:
Alright, I'm pretty sure these two 5-week old black bantam cochins are cockerels by the combs and behavior, but I'd like one last opinion/ kick in the pants for my denial before I list them for rehoming.
fl.gif

So far they have been great... to everyone except my tiniest Sebright who is half their size with all that fluff. They make a tag team game of pulling on her neck feathers.

They look like roos to me! I just rehomed my black cochin rooster (who was supposed to be a frizzle pullet!) Here is is at 8 weeks.

fl.gif

Cockerels, I would love to have them if I wasn't so far away......
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom