Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Jane: or is it?

Blu: tried to crow this morning male?

No experience with Polish, but a breeder told me that wattles coming in are a good sign for males. Jane/John has wattles. Can't see wattles on Blu, but have it on good authority that crowing is an excellent indicator of a cockerel.
big_smile.png
Maybe a Polish expert will know for sure. How old are they?

How can you tell the difference between pullets and roosters?
Often at 6 weeks you can tell, especially with bantam breeds. Boys get red wattles much faster than girls and their combs grow faster (and pink up quick). Girls don't tend to colour up in their combs until they are close to laying age and their combs grow much slower. Some breeds are harder (single combed breeds are the easiest) and you have to wait longer to be sure. Some breeds (like silkies) are very difficult and it's easier to wait until they crow or start laying.

No experience with Polish, but a breeder told me that wattles coming in are a good sign for males.  Jane/John has wattles.  Can't see wattles on Blu, but have it on good authority that crowing is an excellent indicator of a cockerel.  :D   Maybe a Polish expert will know for sure.  How old are they? 

I would say between 2-3 months of age. I bout them at an auction a couple weeks ago and they were already fully feathered with the top hats still coming in. So I guess they could be older

I ordered 5 white leghorn pullets from cackle and they threw in 2 extras. One, I believe, is a boy. Check out the red coming in on his comb already! We first saw the red yesterday at 2 wks and 4 days. He doesn't even have most of his feathers yet! What do you all think?

I ordered 5 white leghorn pullets from cackle and they threw in 2 extras. One, I believe, is a boy. Check out the red coming in on his comb already! We first saw the red yesterday at 2 wks and 4 days. He doesn't even have most of his feathers yet! What do you all think?

I would say your instincts here are correct, that is a lot of comb for not even 3 weeks old. "Free" chickens are usually pulled from the straight run pool in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom