Not sure what breed they are

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OlpA, May 10, 2007.

1. OlpA

OlpA New Egg

Apr 30, 2007
    Abilene Kansas
    My wife works for animal control and came across three chicks. She brought them home and I am clueless to what breed or sex they are. I have 20 Rhode Island reds that a friend of mine gave me. So far they are all getting along. Here’s the pictures of my mystery chicks! I sure hope someone can help me identify them. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    The first picture looks like a barred rock, maybe a roo - looks just like mine which are 10 weeks old. Good luck on the others..

3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Looks like a barred rock and two easter eggers. Middle one might be a pullet, the other two are roos.

4. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    First one a barred rock or else a black sex link cockrel. The second one looks like my baby black sex link females. They are 4 weeks old tomorrow. The third one I am unsure of.

5. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    The first one is definitely a barred plymouth rock-- looks like a hen to me. Her comb is not red. The last one looks like a roo. Not sure of the breed of the second two.

6. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    I'm going to go with
    Pic1: Barred Rock or Black Sex-Link-looks like a cockeral
    Pic2: EE- my guess is pullet
    Pic3: EE-toss up. comb color looks like cockeral, size looks like pullet

They are between 5 and 6 weeks old. Pretty birds!

Have a look at www.feathersite.com - it should help to identify them for you.

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  7. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    I'm still learning, so I'm really curious about why everyone thinks the br is a roo? I have two br's and they both have pretty prominent combs-- not red, just yellow like that. They'd better not be roo's!!! [​IMG]

8. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I agree with accidental completely. Give them time though before completely 100%ly labeling sexes. Because I do know that some standard breeds like leghorns...rocks and RIRs even hens get combs early on.
    Good Luck with your newbies!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by